5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 9:06 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Problem importing text data into checkbox field

kelpgriffin

I have text data from Excel contacts (First Name, Last Name, Phone, AND event title (which is shown as checkbox in Filemaker) that needs to be imported and sorted into text fields AND checkboxes. How can I convert my Excel text --> FileMaker Pro checkbox? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Problem importing text data into checkbox field
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, kelpgriffin.

A checkbox in FileMaker is just a display tool. If you change a field to be an edit box, you'll see that it's just text (return-delimited in the case where more than one option is chosen). So just import your data into the text field and choose "Checkbox set" in the display, along with an appropriate value list that contains all the values you want to display. You should be fine. If there's more than one value in the imported data field, you might need to add carriage returns between them to get the data to show up correctly in a checkbox set; take a look at the Substitute function, which is often your best friend in these sorts of situations.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Problem importing text data into checkbox field
            kelpgriffin

Mike,

To convert the checkbox to an edit box, I am entering Layout Mode, double-clicking the green magnifying glass next to the checkbox set, and adjusting the control style.  Once I adjust the control style to Edit box, the checkbox text disappears, and the edit box only displays the title of the checkbox (see pictures for clarity).  How do I then assign the proper values to insure that incoming data will automatically be displayed as a checked box, and not as text?

-Griffin

Screen shot 2012-10-23 at 3.58.06 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-10-23 at 3.57.51 PM.png

• 3. Re: Problem importing text data into checkbox field
              Mike_Mitchell

Griffin -

The checkbox set has absolutely no effect on the imported data. It's just coming in as text. The checkbox set does only two things for you:

1) It organizes the data in a way that's easy to see.

2) It encourages users to select predefined values so your data entry is consistent.

Try this: Just import the data. Then, delete all the records. Turn the checkbox set on, then import the data again. Then turn the checkbox set off and look at the data.

There won't be any difference.

If you need the data to be restricted in some way, then that can be done, but it's got nothing to do with the display objects - the checkbox, radio button, etc. You'll have to do that using either an auto-enter calculation or a script that takes the data out of an intermediary table and pushes it into the destination, while stripping out the stuff you don't want.

So the real question is: Do you want to display the data according to your value list, or do you want to restrict the data to correspond to your value list? Those are two different things.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem importing text data into checkbox field
                kelpgriffin

Mike,

Thank you for your help thus far!  In my Excel doc, I have multiple values within one cell (separated by commas) that I want to show up as checks within the FMP checkbox set.  The values are defined, but I cannot get the checks to show up.  For example:

FMP Checkboxes:

Orange

Red

Yellow

Green

Excel Cell 2A: Orange, Red, Yellow

How do I get Orange, Red, and Yellow checkboxes to check in FMP? If I import as is "Orange, Red, Yellow," the checkboxes are empty, but data is entered (as text) into the edit box.

Thank you again for your help!

• 5. Re: Problem importing text data into checkbox field
                  Mike_Mitchell

Griffin -

You can use this calculation:

Substitute ( field ; ", " ; "¶" )

as an auto-enter calculation in your field. (Make sure you allow it to replace the current contents.)

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful