3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 3:21 PM by peternew

all fp7 files have suddenly become aliases!

peternew

Shock...horror!

This morning I opened my macBook pro and found that all - literally all - of my .fp7 files have become FileMaker Runtime Documents and all launch the same, old, runtime solution elsewhere on my drive.

The problem has effected fp7 files, fmp12 files seem to be OK and open correctly. FMp5 files on the other hand simply report that there is no application to open them.

I have the various FileMaker applications on the drive and copies of most also on Parallels on the same internal drive. We have done this over the years and it is only this morning that the problem seems to have occured.

History...for what it's worth...

I have a macBook pro with 4gb RAM running macOS 10.8.2 and all recent solutions are produced in FMp12.0v2 advanced.

Last week my hard disk died and was replaced at an Apple Service Centre. I have spent the time since then carefully moving files from my backup[s] to the new drive. With few exceptions the process has gone well. Last night I restarted TimeMachine and did the first backup of the new drive to a new external drive at 11:02pm last night. That backup shows the same problem. This has been the only major change in the last 24 hours.

Is any of this revelant...I've no idea...but I've never, in 20 years of FileMaker programming an macOS since 1984, seen anything like this.

The 'files' all seem to have the 'correct' sizes,and, if I convert them to FMp12 the problem seems to be 'fixed'. However, after 20 years I have some 10,000 fp7 files...and I would not look forward to converting each one of them to fmp12 even if it was feasible. Like other developers we have files for some clients who have never upgraded to FMp12 and these need to be kept in fp7, or even way earlier, format. The problem seems more like the 'association link' being corrupted rather than the file data itself.

FMp7 files on a USB stick - which has not been connected for a few days all now exhibit the same problem. Does this indicate that the problem is in the Operating System somewhere and, if so, why are files for other programs not affected in some way?.

As a number of these files are client's work in progress the situation is catastrophic! While I can recover the files by converting to FMp12 not all of our clients want, need or will, upgrade to FMp12.

Has anyone seen anything like this before! Is there any 'cure'....can anyone help?

Peter Newland

pntech, brisbane australia

e: petern@pntech.biz

• 1. Re: all fp7 files have suddenly become aliases!
          beverly

Peter, when I get this (with other files), I find any of them. Click once to select. Choose File, Get Info. Under the "Open with:" what do you seee? has it changed to use the runtime? If it's not pointing to FileMaker Pro, change the drop down appropriately. Then make sure you click the "Change All" button. This looks at the extension and uses the application you desire to "Open with".

let us know if that's the problem. If not, can you make a screen shot of the Get Info dialog on any of your databases?

Beverly

• 2. Re: all fp7 files have suddenly become aliases!
            s

Hi Peter,

If you choose Get Info on one of your .fp7 files, what does it say in the section under "Open With?"

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

• 3. Re: all fp7 files have suddenly become aliases!
              peternew

People,

Thanks tremendously for your quick responses..and, yes, I did panic a bit with some 10,000 files changed.

I had already gone through the 'Get Info' bit at least three times, using exactly the same procedure as Beverley outlined,  with variable results...some files even reverted to unix files after the 'correction'.

I redid disk permissions..it picked up a few problems...completely restarted and was then faced with a request to convert  to FMp12 when I tried to open any of the re-pointed fp7 files, even though FMp12 was not running.

When your suggestions came through I had just finished with yet another try at repointing all the fp7 files to FMp11 advanced and this time it seemed to work, well at least on the files I have checked so far...phew!

Once again thanks for the swift responses but I'm a little mystified that it took some 3 tries before, what should have been a 'simple' fix,  actually 'took'.

Even in my advanced years I can still be surprised!

PeterN