3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 8:18 AM by Claw'd

Tabs

jlwayne

I have a layout where the user chooses a "type" from a radio button set.

Upon selecting the "type" a script directs the layout to the correct corresponding tab (obviously this layout has tabs).

My question is this: After the user selects the "type" and the script directs the layout to the correct tab, can I disable the other tabs? Make them dull & not clickable? etc.?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Tabs
          Bitgeist

I'm not sure this is possible utilizing the tabbed interface element. It can certainly be done by building the tabs from scratch as we use to have to do back before that element existed in Filemaker. You must create a seperate layout for each tab. The layouts will be identical in every way except for the portion that is the tabbed "area". You don't actually use the tab element but draw your own. You place a button over the tabs to jump to that tab when clicked and the net result to the user will be the same as if you had in fact used the tabbed element. The user won't know that you are switching layouts every time they click on a new tab so to them it will work as expected. This will allow you to do what you want because you have the navigation scripts you wrote for tab selection be sensitive to the radio button you are using. The down side to this is that it takes more time to layout and if you make any changes to the layout you have to apply the change to all of them to keep the illusiove alive. I know this is far from elegant but it certainly will do what you need it to do.

I have included a simple sample file.

• 2. Re: Tabs
            wsvp

In FM12 you can conditionally format each tab, so you can accomplish the "dull" aspect that way.  To make a tab not change, you can use Triggers, to not allow a navigation to specific tabs.

Prior to FM12 you can use triggers to prevent tabs from being selected, but you could not change the text on an individual tab.

• 3. Re: Tabs
              Claw'd

Have a look at the sample file here: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/thread/68507