1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 9:17 PM by nickorr

Color Containers with variable colour!

zibzab

Hi, is there any way of colouring up a container based on a variable RGB value? I can do this with text (no problem), but would like to colour up a fixed geometric shape - such as a container rather than some text with a block character!

It has to be variable since there will be literally thousands of different colours required!

Is there an existing way of doing this, or a plugin / custom function?

If this is possible, please let me know - it would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
          comment

zibzab wrote:

would like to colour up a fixed geometric shape - such as a container

Isn't a container always rectangular? Where would the shape come from?

• 2. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
            beverly

If you mean the BACKGROUND color of an object, and dynamically (based on each of the RGB values, I presume), then NO.

You can change the TEXT COLOR

TextColor(text;RGB(red;green;blue))

By supplying each of the RGB values. This works on regular and merge fields (set by calculation and/or script).

I suggest you look at the text that can be entered into the field(s) and appear to be "shapes" (based on the font-family) if that is your aim.

Make a suggestion to allow conditional formatting to accept RGBA values instead of a selection?

Beverly

• 3. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
              zibzab

Hi, you obviously haven't used Filemaker 12 and the new variable radius edges. Fields start off as rectangles, but you can add bevels to any of the four edges and increase the radius of those bevels - you can do this until you have a circle!! ;-)

• 4. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                zibzab

Hi, thanks for your reply - as mentioned I can do this no problem to text. I do this currently using text shapes (rectangles in webdings!).

The downside of this method is that the font needs to be on the end users machine.

I did come across a plugin last night that allows you to fill a container with variable RGB values - however, it is not cheap when charged per seat (also did lots of other stuff which I don't require)!

Surely their must be a way of doing this without the need to purchase extra plugins!

http://www.cnsplug-ins.com/Plug-ins/MMColo

• 5. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                  comment

1. The Webdings font is standard on both platforms.

2. I believe the (free) ScriptMaster plugin can do this and more.

• 6. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                    zibzab

Hi, I have used the webdings route for the last 5 years and now would like something more asthetically pleasing. Also needs to work with Filemaker Go (ios).

I came across Scriptmaster this morning which I'm currently trying out - thanks for the info though.

Life would be easier if there was a function to color containers / backgrounds in filemaker without having to look for non-native work-arounds!

thanks for the help

• 7. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                      comment

zibzab wrote:

Hi, I have used the webdings route for the last 5 years and now would like something more asthetically pleasing.

I am not sure one can tell the difference, if you increase the font size (see the following post).

zibzab wrote:

Also needs to work with Filemaker Go (ios).

Doesn't that rule out plugins?

• 8. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                        comment

difficult to demonstrate in this forum...

• 9. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                          wsvp

zibzab... You might want to re-analyze that statement, as I have used the variable radius cornering quite a bit myself,  What I have found is that...

FM12 will NOT clip off the image in the container by the round corners.  In other words, put a square image in the container and you will have a square image in your layout, no matter what you do to the corner radius.

Not sure if this is a bug or by design.  But I feel it is not as it should be.

• 10. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                            zibzab

Hi Michael, yes that does rule out plugins - which is why I would prefer a custom function.

• 11. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                              zibzab

Hi Michael, it is obviously just a flat block of color here. However, on the reports I am dealing with which analyze color according to standards, they might have 30 reference colours on next to 30 measured colours - so up to 60 blocks of colour. As a layout that gets pretty messy and hard to align shapes etc.

It would be so much easier if I could just control the colour of a shape / container.

What you have demonstrated is the way I have it set up currently - I'd like to move away from this to something cleaner and less rectangular. And yes, I could add a masking shape on top of the block of color to mask the edges and add shape etc. However, I just want to color the container itself if possible.

• 12. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                                beverly

I also found this, wsvp. But that's mostly because the "inner padding" is not adjusted with the corner. For most fields, when you use one of the themes with rounded corners, there is a built-in CSS that keeps the text off the sides of the container. This is the "padding" (between the line/border and the text). We don't have control of the padding, except you can set your text indents a few pts to help. This does not help with container fields, as I have found. Some of the themes may have compensated on the container fields, too. I just have not checked all of them. AND we don't have the control of all of the CSS for themes

Beverly

• 13. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                                  reelsteve

Digital fusion's plug in has a color picker which can be used to accomplish what u r after.

The lite version of their plug in is free and may include the color picker.

Pretty sure their site is reactorize.com.

U could also use web based color swatch tools which on select would fire back color code values to a field in filemaker.  If u r interested, I probably have a file laying around I cld send.

Steve

• 14. Re: Color Containers with variable colour!
                                    nsabel

You could do everything in a webviewer providing you know html/css.

Nick

1 2 Previous Next