5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 5:38 AM by Michael20219

Using FM12 data in 11

Michael20219

Ok so here is the problem. We currently have two seperate servers, one of which is running 11 and the other is running 12 (Both advanced). We have been working for about 3 months now on our upgrade to 12. We have

learned a lot of cool things and done a lot more in 12. Thanks Devcon, had a blast! We are now at a point where 11 can no longer be an acceptable means of information as the times have changed and also the process of doing.

The reason for the redesign was to take care of these problems, but also not have to completely re-write 11. This is a very complicated unorganized piece of work. We have already wrote the scripts needed to be able to import

our needed data in 12. They are much smoother and comply with the new needs. My question is can we run our imports on 12 and then export the data to text, then re-import the same data into 11? Or is there a way to do all the same

if using the same network? Or what is the recommended way of going about this? Thank you very much. It is really appreaciated.

• 1. Re: Using FM12 data in 11
          LSNOVER

Michael:

If your exporting from 12 in tab, comma or excel formats, you can read that data back into version 11.  You just can't import a Filemaker 12 file into Filemaker 11.

Cheers!

Lee

• 2. Re: Using FM12 data in 11
            beverly

Merge is another handy format that is the same as CSV, but contains the field names in the first row. Or XML format, also has the field names (it remains the same grammar -FMPXMLRESULT- for 11 and 12). Any TEXT export/import cannot work with containers and all calculation and summary fields will become "plain", otherwise good ways to get data from 12 into 11.

Beverly

If your exporting from 12 in tab, comma or excel formats, you can read that data back into version 11.  You just can't import a Filemaker 12 file into Filemaker 11.

Cheers!

Lee

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Using FM12 data in 11

Hi Michael,

You might also like to consider using RefreshFM from Goya.com.au as this product will handle the data from several tables consequetively. It has, however, been made for doing an exchange of ALL data, whereas your requirement seems to be one of merely transferring recent data from the V12 solution into the legacy version.

I don't know if RefreshFM can be constrained to work that way but Nick Orr may well be interested in making it accomplish that task. Ask him!

Cheers,

John

• 4. Re: Using FM12 data in 11
                nickorr

Michael20219,

One option you might not have considered is to use one of our products : RESTfm.  It allows you to setup one of the FMS boxes as a restful web service.  But more than that, you can choose to output the data in FileMaker XML format.  In other words one FMS box can import directly from the other FMS box via XML.  Let me know if you'd like more info about how this could work.

www.restfm.com

Cheers,

Nick

• 5. Re: Using FM12 data in 11
                  Michael20219

I believe we will be going with the good old text export/import. I am not to sure what the time frame will be to complete but, that is not my worry. Thanks to everyone for the help.