2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 11:08 AM by jbante

How to best manage the opening layout

techt

I've been developing FMP for years now, and over thsoe years, depending which version and new techniques picked up from here and DevCon, I've never been completely satisfied with my opening scripts and how the initial layout presentation is delivered. With the addition of IWP and Go to a solution, it complicates things even further. Layouts flash with the last layout shown, even if the user is redirected to a closing layout when closing the last window of a solution. Data from other users is briefly displayed, then the window is moved off screen for various startup functions, then back, flash to another layout, then back where they belong. Again, this is over a number of different solutions on various FMP versions over the past ten years. I really appreciate the FMP community because I know that there are many things out there that I haven't found but other people are willing to direct or share. I'm hoping that this conversation leads to a "rock solid" solution that we can all benefit from.

• 1. Re: How to best manage the opening layout
          mdiehr

If you are hosting the file from FileMaker server, then the first layout opened will always be the last layout opened *at the time the file was last opened in a copy of filemaker pro* - In other words, when hosted by filemaker server it never remembers the last layout opened.   Solution : turn off FM Server, open the file in a copy of FM Pro, make sure the proper layout is showing, then close the file, and re host it in FM server.   Took me a while to figure this out.   Perhaps this helps?

• 2. Re: How to best manage the opening layout
            jbante

I don't know if it addresses all your concerns, but the FileMakerStandards.org suggested best practice for low-impact startup layouts might be a helpful source of inspiration as you figure out how to approach this.