2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 3:32 PM by gringingo

Can't insert data into FileMaker from external source using odbc

gringingo

I'm still new to FileMaker and as such I've been trying to do my due diligence in looking up information. I've looked through the FileMaker archives and documentation, and googled the topic like crazy. I've come to my wits end on this one, though.

I'm using FileMaker Pro 10 v3 and what I am trying to do is use Oracle Document Capture to scan documents, gather data from index using OCR zones, and commit that data to my FileMaker database.

I've created a system DSN using the ODBC drivers that came with FileMaker (DataDirect 32-BIT SequeLink 5.5). I'm using a 64-bit system so I had to find and set it up using odbcad32.exe in the C:WindowsSysWOW64 folder. I gave the DSN a name, specified the source (127.0.0.1), specified the port (2399), it showed me the list of FileMaker databases so I picked it, I tested the connection and it said it was ok, and then I clicked OK. From there I open and configure Oracle Document Capture (I have to use SQL Server Express as a backend database for Oracle Document Capture to work, it requires its own set of tables to store program and project data) to use that DSN and it says that it's ok when I test the connection. It will recognized the tables in FileMaker and I can match OCR zones in Oracle Document Capture to columns in my FileMaker database. When it comes time to commit the data to filemaker, I click commit to which I get an error which says:

"... Error Number: -2147217887 Error Description: ODBC driver does not support requested properties."

so I changed my fields in FileMaker to match the length and datatype of the that is used in Oracle Document Capture. Still same error. To make sure that the ODBC drivers worked, I created an MS Access database and exported data from filemaker into there via the same DSN. It worked. Access gives you the option to link the two databases so that changes in one reflect to the other and visavera. That option always gives an odbc error. Then from inside FileMaker I was able to use ODBC to connect to an SQL Server Express database via File -> Manage -> External Data Sources just to see if I could. It worked. I've tried a bunch of other work arounds and things to see if I could get an outside application to connect and push data into a table in FileMaker and have had no luck.

I've tried other third part ODBC drivers and they don't work with filemaker. Just to try it, I downloaded the FileMaker 11 and 12 odbc drivers and they wouldn't recognize the FileMaker 10 databases. I tried using an ODBC bridge and that wasn't doing much for me. I tried using it in a virtual machine using a 32-bit OS just to make sure that the 64-bit compatibility wasn't an issue.

At this point I'm up for any and all ideas. My goal is to push data directly into FileMaker without have to use a separate DBMS and DB to get it to work. If push comes to shove, I may have to scrap the project and get ready to perform a lot of data entry. Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Can't insert data into FileMaker from external source using odbc
          EvanGoldstein

Hello,

Would you consider making a connection from FM to the Oracle or SQL table via ESS, then grab the data from the table occuarnce and place it into your FM soluction?  I do a similar thing, scan thru records on a SQL table and selectivly import needed fields into FM.

Evan

• 2. Re: Can't insert data into FileMaker from external source using odbc
            gringingo

Thank you for your reply.  I thought of that as a last effort and may have to resolve to that.  I'm trying to avoid having two DBMSs run on the same (and only) server, however, I might have to bite the bullet on this one.  It's a small business.  I thought of hosting it on a computer elsewhere, but then the server can't see it.  The server is on a different network from the computers in the office and the way things are setup the office computers can see the server and work with it, but the server can't see the office computers due to routing.  I don't have control over that.  Networking aside, I'm working with this locally before making changes to the server.

"ODBC driver does not support requested properties"  Which properties?  I haven't been able to find out what this means.  I'm still looking.  Did I skip any steps in setting this up?  I've read the postings on setting up and trouble shooting ODBC connections.  I'm not sure what else I can do.