12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 1:01 AM by gdurniak

Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?

gdurniak

A simple Mac question, from a Windows person:

Our Mac Mini FileMaker Server drive just failed, and the IT guy restored it from a "Disk Image"

FileMaker Server 10 does run, but has no settings, e.g. the backup Schedules are gone

Is this a known quirk, or possibly an incomplete "image" ?

greg

• 1. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
          CarstenLevin

Hi Greg,

What system was used for the backup, can you supply the information on the setup

How was the backup made?

- Including System Folder/Library Folder etc.

How was the restore done?

- Full restore, or only users/data?

Best regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
            gdurniak

in Windows, when I restore a disk image ( e.g. a clone, with Ghost ) it is exact bit by bit, for the whole disk partition

I just wondered if it's possible to load a Mac Disk Image, and find things missing

greg

> What system was used for the backup, including System Folder/Library Folder etc.

• 3. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
              CarstenLevin

Definetely (restoring from disk image), but you need to answer the questions I asked. How was the disk image created (the one you restored from) etc. etc.

Usually you would not restore a database server from a disk image, unless you make disk images many times every day.

You should probably use the very latest of FileMaker's own backups (assuming that backups was configured and running).

• 4. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                gdurniak

That's what I suspect

I don't yet have details on how or when the disk image was created

and yes, the two disks are used separately, one for backups

thanks

greg

> it sounds like your IT guy just restored from an image created right after the inital setup of the server.

> and if you are using mac mini server (containing two internal drives) please pay attention that they are not formatted/used as RAID

• 5. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                  wimdecorte

It's certainly not a known quirk - as stated in other posts, it will come down to the timing of the image.   Know that FMS has a feature that will save the settings and the schedules: you can run it from the menu in the admin console.  Save the XML it produces somewhere safe everytime you do a configuration change.  It will come in very handy in situations like this - you can just import the settings and schedules.

• 6. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                    mdiehr

I've seen this.  I believe that FMServer stores preferences in the BYHOST settings, which ends up beign a path something like /Library/Preferences/ByHost/XXXXXXX/Filemaker  where the XXXXXX is a key that's based on the "host id" of the particular machine.  I'm not entirely sure what the hostID is calculated from, but I've seen cases where it changes and the settings are lost -- in my case, I had the entire server booting from an external firewire drive.    One day I decided to upgrade the server to a faster mac - i thought it would be trivial : just boot a new server from the external drive.    But the new server had a different host id so it never saw those settings.

Your issue, while not exactly the same, sounds somewhat similar...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                      CarstenLevin

Hi Wim, is it not from version 11 the import/export of settings was implemented, or was it already present in version 10?

• 8. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                        wimdecorte

That's not what I meant, there is a feature in FMS that will let you export and save the config settings and schedules

• 9. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                          wimdecorte

11 I believe, Carsten.

• 10. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                            gdurniak

This would make sense

It turns out they did copy the image to a new Mac Mini, so the Host ID would no longer match the BYHOST settings

It seems with a new machine you must either edit the BYHOST by hand, or find a Utility to help

A very interesting "Quirk"

thanks

greg

> I've seen this.  I believe that FMServer stores preferences in the BYHOST settings

• 11. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                              CarstenLevin

After following this thread, my suggestion is to do as we usually do:

• Set up the server with one extra disk - consider an external disk.
                                • Our most common setup is
                                  • A) Two internal disks set up as a Raid 1 (mirror). One external disk where FileMaker will make its backups to. And from the external disk backups are automatically taken of-site to a Bacup Service.
                                    or
                                  • B) Two internal disks, one SSD for the databases and one ordinary for filemaker server backups. And from the extra disk backups are automatically taken of-site to a Bacup Service.

With FileMaker 11 and 12 you should also remember to save FileMaker server's setup to the external disk/backup disk.

Now you can set up a new server very fast and unporoblematic. Probably even faster than if you had to restore a disk image.

Making disk images for backup use is probably not very practical. Usually you only want the data (databases, web files etc.).

• 12. Re: Mac Restore Disk Image Drops Server Settings ?
                                gdurniak

Thanks

I think  mdiehr  above has the answer I was looking for

This was really a question about the Mac OS,  not Filemaker

This was a one time disk image ( done recently )  to backup the server itself, not the data

greg

> Making disk images for backup use is probably not very practical. Usually you only want the data