9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 7:55 AM by ByteTheBullet

Filemaker DSN configuration

Hudi

Hey

I would like to accomplish the following:

Add an AWS (Amazon web services) hosted sql2008 database as an external data source in filemaker.

For some reason this is proving to be quite challenging, grrrr.

I would like to note that I do not have any experience with ESS so I could be making rookie mistakes.

I need to import from the sql database to FM and the only way to do that is to add and external data source.

Steps I've taken so far.

1. Dowloaded the recommended ODBC manager.

2. installed the driver and

3. Added a new 'system dsn'

When I try to set the host like soScreen shot 2012-10-22 at 2.50.24 PM.png

i get the following error.Screen shot 2012-10-22 at 2.38.37 PM.png

any ideas of where I should start trouble shooting.

I would much appreciate all/any ideas

• 1. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
          user17418

Did you load the file onto the Server?

Is the ODBC server running?

Is the file on the server open?

Did you turn on ODBC access in the file?

• 2. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
            Hudi

Did you load the file onto the Server?

Yes, the file is an existing sql database

Is the ODBC server running?

Where is that?

Is the file on the server open?

I believe so, it has been accessed recently just to make sure.

Did you turn on ODBC access in the file?

Is that in the sql server?

Thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
              user17418

I think I get what you are trying to do now.

You are trying to use FileMaker to access a non-FileMaker ODBC source.

To do that you need to use a different driver.

The FileMaker ODBC DSN you were trying to make, is supposed to be pointed towards a FileMaker data source. You will want to use something like MySQL Client from Microsoft. There should be other choices when making your DSN.

• 4. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
                Hudi

Yes its a SQL2008 data source.

Would mysql client work for this?

thanks

• 5. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
                  user17418

Yes, I believe so. That is what I did. When I open Filemaker and try to import from a SQL source, I pointed towards this SQL source and it work well.

• 6. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
                    Hudi

So here's a more basic question.

Do I need to do anything on the server that is hosting the SQL data?

also, what is the correct driver to use and where can I find that?

thanks!

• 7. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
                      ByteTheBullet

The correct driver depends on the remote SQL datasource that you're trying to access.

Since you indicated that the remote datasource is SQL Server 2008, you should be able to download the correct ODBC driver from Microsoft- the exact driver will depend on what OS your FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro instance is running on. Search Microsoft's site for SQL Server 2008 ODBC and you should find what you need.

Once you have the driver installed, create a new system DSN for your remote source. You'll need to know the remote source's IP address or DNS name, as well as credentials that will get you access to the database object(s) that you want.

Once that is set up and tested, you can add an ESS (External SQL Source)  to a FileMaker database by opening the FileMaker database in FileMaker Pro and going to File->Manage->External Data Sources. After you've added the ESS, you can add a table object for each table of the ESS you want to access to the Relationships tab in your Manage Database screen.

• 8. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
                        LSNOVER

As BTB said, you absolutely need the Microsoft SQL Server ODBC driver.  There should not be anything else required on the server, but you need to make sure that the provider allows external connections to the database and that the appropriate ports are open.  Get the driver setup and tested in the ODBC setup Control panel first, THEN move on to Filemaker.  Be sure you are using the 32 bit versions of the ODBC Client, and the 32 Bit version of the Control Panel if you are running on a 64 bit version of Windows, as Filemaker is not 64bit on the clients as of yet.

• 9. Re: Filemaker DSN configuration
                          ByteTheBullet

Good point- I forgot to mention that you need to use the 32-bit drivers and 32-bit control panel on a Windows host. I guess I've learned that lesson the hard way enough times that I don't even think about it anymore!