1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 1:29 PM by ronhofius

Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7

DanielKaan

A major client is in process of switching to Windows 7 and using Outlook for a mail client. I have a large FileMaker db that uses lots of "Send Mail" script steps using the desktop email client (rather than SMTP or via the server). FileMaker returns a "0" error when these script steps execute, and an email is generated, but any data passed in the To, CC and BCC fields is missing; the email generated has no address information at all. The Subject and Body fields come through fine however. The clients are using FileMaker 11.0v3.

I am assuming it is hitting some security thing in Windows 7 or Outlook as it still all works fine for Outlook clients still on NT. I am a Mac guy and don't really know where to start... Is there some sort of checklist of things that must be in place or switched on/off in Window 7 or Outlook?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here with Windows 7 any suggestion what I can try to fix it?

Regards

Daniel Kaan

FileMaker 7-12 certified developer

• 1. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
          LyndsayHowarth

Is there a mail account configured in Outlook that is used by the FM-generated email?

I suggest you run a test to an SMTP server.... just to (hopefully) eliminate FM from suspect causes list.

It does sound like permissions... Is there a firewall on the machine with ports being blocked... and what about the network...  Are you using FM internal secutity or external?

I'm a Mac guy (girl actually) and these are always the things that throw you... I have a similar issue with platform differences...

• 2. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
            DanielKaan

Thanks for your response Lindsay

To answer your questions:

Yes, there is an account configured in Outlook. It is the user's main email package. FM is obviously talking to Outlook because a message is created, it is just the email To/CC/BCC fields are not populated in the email.

Sending the email to a SMTP server works fine, and the same script also work fine for other users still on NT. I am pretty confident the problem is not at the FileMaker end.

We are using internal FM security, not authenticating to an LDAP server.

We have tried turning firewalls off on the machine; no improvement.

If you or anyone can shed any further light on the issue, I'd be grateful.

Daniel.

• 3. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
              eshoshin

If you manually try to send via email in FM (under the File menu), do you get an Outlook security message?  Something to the effect of a program is trying to access it, etc.  Sometimes trying it manually will show you the Outlook error but using the "Send Mail" script step won't.

It does sound like FM can communicate with Outlook if a new email is created.  If the issue is the To/CC/BCC are the only fields NOT working, then it could be an issue with how this data is gathered from your solution.  Any chance you could post the To/CC/BCC info here so we can see (from the "Send Email" window)?

Ethan

• 4. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                DanielKaan

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try the creating of an email from the File menu as you suggested next time I am in at the client premises.

Normally it does pull email addresses from a field in a table, so I in my earlier investigations of the problem, I created a dead simple test on a newly created file; Send via: E-mail Client, Create: One email..., To: "dkaan@dataorganisation.com.au" (literal text rather than data pulled from a table), Subject: "Test", Message: "Test".

Same problem; Subject and Body turn up in the email that is created in Outlook under Windows 7, but the To data does not. There is no problem in the data being passed.  Again, the same script steps work fine under NT but not Windows 7 (using the same data).  I do not think the problem is at the FileMaker end, either with script step or the data that it is passing...

• 5. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                  DanielKaan

I also did some testing by calling a URL using the "Open URL" script step, passing it a parameter like

"mailto:dkaan@dataorganisation.com.au?subject=Test&body=Test"

Interestingly, this worked perfectly, creating the email correctly addressed. I would use this as a work around, but this "mailto:" protocol does not support an attachment, which is critical to the solution. Some email packages do allow an "attachment" parameter, but this is an undocumented feature in the "mailto:" protocol and, after testing, unsupported with Outlook under Windows 7.

By the way, the "Send mail" script steps were tested without the attachment, so attachments are not the source of the problem.

• 6. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                    eshoshin

Interesting.  I can't seem to replicate your issue.  I'm on Windows 7 and using Outlook, but it works fine for me... whether I pull field data for the To/Cc/Bcc or hardcode it.

Not sure what's going on for you.  You could try opening Outlook, going into "Tools" --> "Macro" --> "Security" and see if changing the settings will allow FM to pass all the data over.  I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but it just feels like something in Outlook's security settings is blocking the email info being sent by FM.

Ethan

• 7. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                      DanielKaan

Thanks Ethan. I'll give that a go next time I am in there and will let you know.

• 8. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                        LyndsayHowarth

perhaps you embed a link to the attachment in the body?

I seem to remember in the dim-distant-past that a url encoded addition of '&attachment=filepath' worked in a mailto...

Permissions! ?@#$

- Lyndsay

• 9. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                          DanielKaan

Hi Lyndsay.

Again thanks for your engagement on this issue.

1. Yes, but the "&attachment= "Enable all macros" checkbox.  While this was recommended against because of the security risk, I enabled it as the most liberal setting (for testing purposes). No success. Same symptoms as described earlier: and email is created but no email address data is passed to the appropriate fields in Outlook.  I checked all other settings under the "Options" section but found no likely candidates for things that might be blocking the receiving of the email address data.

4. I checked the Program Defaults in the Start menu.  The "IMAP" parameter was correctly set to Outlook. As one would expect because an email is generated in Outlook; it just does not have the appropriate address data.

5. The firewall on the local machine was totally disabled.

I am still desperately attempting to send email to Outlook under Windows 7 using the "Send Mail" script step. Again none of the email addresses being passed by the "Send Mail" (To, DD & BCC) are turning up in the email generated.

I am at the stage where I am thinking of developing a whole email module (with tables to store emails etc) just so that I can bypass Outlook all together.  This is a lot of trouble to go to when the "Send Mail" to the local client should just work. Killing a fly with sledge hammer...

Anyone have any further ideas?

Daniel.

• 10. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                            usbc

I have been looking into this for a different, but maybe related, failure with FMP and Outlook.

There seems to be new and improved digital certificate schemes in Outlook for both platforms.

http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/admin

And:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20825

In my client's case all my email scripts work in Entourage and continued to work in Outlook 11 until they did an MS Office update.

• 11. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                              eshoshin

You can download the free "Windows Essentials Mail" from Microsoft (replaced Outlook Express back when Vista came out).  It's a watered-down version of Outlook, but it worked fine for me when using Send Mail in FM (I tested this to see if I could get the same error you were getting in Outlook).

I know this isn't optimal, but it works.

• 12. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                                DanielKaan

Thanks for the suggestions; I had a look but these Mac articles were not really applicable for Windows 7 on a large corporate platform.

• 13. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                                  DanielKaan

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately this is a large corporate client where I have absolutely no control over which email client is used. They are entirely wedded to Outlook.

• 14. Re: Problems with Send Mail to Outlook on Windows 7
                                    fm4alluvu

Hello Daniel - What Version of Outlook are you using? I have had issues with Outlook 2010 and Windows 7; no issues at all with Windows 7 and Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007.

fm4alluvu

1 2 3 4 Previous Next