7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 3:22 PM by ch0c0halic

Progressive Backup - progress?

CarstenLevin

Started Progressive Backup on a FileMaker 12 Server this morning.

Mac OS X 10.7.4 FileMaker Server 12.0.2.232.

Initiated Progressive backup at 8.30 this morning.

Skærmbillede 2012-10-23 kl. 13.17.52.png

At 13.36 danish time it does not seem to be finished and the folders seems not to be changed since 8.40.

Skærmbillede 2012-10-23 kl. 13.15.01.png

An ideas - is this normal behaviour.

Best regards

Carsten

• 1. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
          CarstenLevin

Suplementary information:

• No errors in the log today.
          • No warnings in the log today.
          • Scheduled backups running.
          • Scheduled Server Scripts running.
          • 2. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
            CarstenLevin

So far no progress, it is now 18.53 Danish time. Restarting the entire server. Maybe this makes a difference.

• 3. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
              CarstenLevin

This is how it looks after 4 days.

Can anyone explain why there I can not see the backups?

Skærmbillede 2012-10-26 kl. 20.32.21.png

Skærmbillede 2012-10-26 kl. 20.34.54.png

• 4. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
                wimdecorte

No, must be something machine/deployment specific - I have several deployements Mac and Windows where it just works.  Nothing in the logs?  Enough free disk space?  Permissions?

• 5. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
                  CarstenLevin

Hi Wim,

Great to meet someone in this empty thread

wimdecorte wrote:

No, must be something machine/deployment specific - I have several deployements Mac and Windows where it just works.  Nothing in the logs?  Enough free disk space?  Permissions?

Yes, it is strange. Everything else on this Mac is working fine. But this is our reference Mac OS 12 computer, and it is not in use for anything but FileMaker.

But:

• There are many databases (apx 100)
                  • Altogether apx 10 solutions.
                  • Databases stored in the internal HD fileMaker default folder AND in a folder on an external drive.
                  • The backups are done to one backupfolder on the external drive AND to another backupfolder on the internal drive.
                  • The progressive backups are done to a subfolder in the backupfolder on the internal drive.

Could this setup where everything else is working be to much for FileMaker.

The processers are not working hard and there is plenty of room on all drives.

Skærmbillede 2012-10-26 kl. 21.22.57.png

• 6. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
                    wimdecorte

I wonder if the fact that some of the live files are on an external drive has somethng to do with it.  Can you move them to the internal drive and test?

• 7. Re: Progressive Backup - progress?
                      ch0c0halic

We have the live, backup, and progressive backup files on a second 'internal' drive. Works fine. We don't use an external drive for live or backup data. Its not a recommended setup and I would say don't do it. A bad cable or connector or a pulled out cable can cause loss of the external drive. (But that's just my opinion).

The folder names indicate the initial Progressive backup is still in progress. Depending on the size of all database together this can take a long time. But multiple days does seem excessive. I'd try Wim's test. Move all the files and set the progressive backup to the internal drive.