3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 9:41 AM by LaRetta

Doing a find in a Repeating field?

BruceHerbach

If I do a find in a repeating field and put the find criteria in to only one of the repeats, when the Perform find button is pushed it finds this criteria in all repeats for the field. Is this what I should expect? I'm working on a system that has a number of repeating fields and want to confirm that this is correct behavior for FileMaker.

Thanks

Bruce

• 1. Re: Doing a find in a Repeating field?

Hi Bruce,

Yes it is normal behavior just as repeaters are multiple values in relationships or multilines search each line value separately.  Also searching for duplicates using =, a multiline will treat each line as possible match. :-)

• 2. Re: Doing a find in a Repeating field?
            BruceHerbach

HI LaRetta,

So if I setup a relationship between a a single field in TableA and a Repeating Field in TableB.  In a portal showing records in TableB on a layout based on TableA I will see all records in the portal that has a matching value in any repeat in the field in TableB?  Is this correct?

Never tried this,  could be helpful.  I started with FileMaker 8.5 and followed the advice in many of the FileMaker books at the time that indicated not to use repeating fields for data.  Use tables and primary key/foreign key relationships instead.  I also remember seeing a bunch of list items at the itme about how "do I get the data out of my repeating field now that I converting from an early (Pre 7 ) version to current version".  Result,  I haven't used repeating field very much.

Thanks much

Bruce

• 3. Re: Doing a find in a Repeating field?

Bruce Herbach wrote:

So if I setup a relationship between a a single field in TableA and a Repeating Field in TableB.  In a portal showing records in TableB on a layout based on TableA I will see all records in the portal that has a matching value in a repeat in the field in TableB?  Is this correct?

Yes it will work.  But in general repeating fields violate one fact per field and should not hold data unless 1) for Developer use in displaying, calculating or otherwise manipulating existing data from regular fields or 2) one is a Repeater Master.  I am not a Repeater Master http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/55005-join-trs-today-only-open-minded-people-welcome/#267370 .   Most times even they will recommend against using repeaters for data.  I DO think repeaters are nifty though.

UPDATE:  BTW, the buttons I said I would give out (in that thread) were a joke ... I had several people contact me to get one.  I gave them a high-five instead, LOL.

1 of 1 people found this helpful