6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 5:14 AM by DavidMoore

Java...

DavidMoore

Now would be a good time for the Apple-owned Filemaker to stop relying on an outside software vendor (Oracle), and just build a native client for running the GUI for Filemaker Server.

• 1. Re: Java...
          DavidMoore

Filemaker already writes code twice. Should just be a part of the Server sorftware they already write for mac and PC.

• 2. Re: Java...
            usbc

They used to do it in ... er, FileMaker.

• 3. Re: Java...
              DavidZakary

The good (bad?) old days - Open Remote and double click on the Server icon IIRC.

In defense of the Java Admin Console - it is handy to be able to access the server from any machine regardless of Windows or Mac when an emergency arises. I remember at one point having to keep software on a floppy so that I could install it if I needed to. Pre OS X Mountain Lion we could mark updates as "Ignore". That doesn't seem to be an option now in Mountain Lion with updates done via the App Store. Every morning when I start up Windows I get prompted to update Java there too. I just keep ignoring it.

The Admin Console may be too complex for a pure web interface but that'd be a handy option. If we can configure routers via the web I'd like to think (or hope) that controlling the Server might be an option. But these are questions for people far smarter than I.

• 4. Re: Java...
                mbraendle

It's not so easy as you depict. The Admin Console is only one part of the FMS(A) infrastructure that relies on Java.

There is also the Web Publishing Engine that uses server-side Java (Tomcat and all the .jar libraries, just have a look at the files in /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpe/WEB-INF/lib ).

I agree that client-side Java applications, browser plugins and applets should be replaced by HTML5-based apps given the recent increase of vulnerabilities in the Java RTE and the need to patch a multitude of clients. Java and Adobe Flash are currently the major targets of attacks.

However, on the server side, Java is still indispensable for many server apps. And servers are usually configured for higher security.

I'm rather wondering why it's always the FileMaker Admin Console that is being affected by Java updates, while other Java softwares I know never had a problem. I can live somewhat with that, because there are still the fmsadmin command line commands that I can use. However, in a 24/7 productive web publishing environment (as we have), there is no excuse for broken FMS Java components because of a Java update. Fortunately, this hasn't happened in the last few years.

• 5. Re: Java...
                  DavidMoore

Actually the Java components are currently "ferklempt" on Mac OS 10.7 & 10.8, as Apple has disabled Java in their recent "Software Updates" due to security issues. It's not that big of a deal given all the workarounds, and updates available from Oracle - but on at least one of my servers I had to "restart" to get it all working again (in a "production environment).

Just think it's odd that the Apple-owned Filemaker doesn't have their "walled garden" in place here, and has to rely on third parties to keep working "seamlessly."

I don't know enough about HTML5-based web apps to know, but I'm with you on that one. We all need to be able to "fix things" wherever we are, on whatever device we have handy. I'm sure the time's coming, but the past week has been a PIA:)

• 6. Re: Java...
                    DavidMoore

Glad I "came late to the party, " and didn't have to deal with that. When llRC was around, I was doing graphic design and layout pretty much exclusively. Didn't get into Filemaker Server until version 9.

Sound like it was as much fun as Timbuktu over a 28k modem...I still have nightmares...