7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 7:52 AM by dhgerstman

Upgrading an .fp3 database

dhgerstman

I have FileMaker Pro v 9.

I need to upgrade an .fp3 database.

I've been able to do many upgrades, but there are still some stubborn things I can't seem to get around.

In ScriptMaker when I have a line like:

Go to Related Record [ From table: "CA_list.fm"; External; Using layout: <Current Layout> ]

Is there any way I can edit "CA_list.fm" to just "CA_list" ?

When I got to the Specify button, it doesn't allow me to change to another file name.

Is there any way around this?

In other cases where the suffix .fm is written in - such as in Value Lists or diagrams, is there any way around that so that I can specify the name of the file without the ".fm?"

Thank you,

David

• 1. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
          ErikWegweiser

David: Hi. I believe what you're seeing is related to External Data Sources in FileMaker. Choose "External Data Sources..." from the File>Mange" menu. There, you'll probably see all the externally referenced files by path and name and you can remove or change the old ".fm" extension. This should be reflected in all situations where an external file is referenced, including relationships, value lists and scripts.

-- Erik

• 2. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
            dhgerstman

Erik,

If you're right, you might well be a life saver.

Thank you so much.

David

• 3. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
              dhgerstman

Erik,

I changed the External data sources and that helped a little in other areas.

Unfortunately it didn't change the internal references.

I might have to do that manually. The problem is that there are scores of relations that I can't possibly modify with any degree of certainty.

David

• 4. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
                ErikWegweiser

David:

If you're talking about base table names and table occurrence names ('relationship names'), value list names and layout names, these can all be re-named as you like without affecting anything else*

*The exceptions are various calculations using functions like Get(Layoutname), ValueListItems; GetFieldName, the result of which your solution might depend on the 'hard coded' names of these items not changing. You're 'probably' safe with a database converted from .fp3, but you should check.

Is that what you mean by 'internal references,' and does this answer the question better?

-- Erik

• 5. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
                  dhgerstman

OK, Now I think I see  how to do it. Using the pencil thingy.

• 6. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
                    dhgerstman

Erik

I got it. I'm almost done with the conversion now.

I had to start over because I'd started doing some script conversions first.

The external data sources worked in renaming the relationships too.

Thanks so much.

David

• 7. Re: Upgrading an .fp3 database
                      dhgerstman

Erik,

One more question, if you don't mind.

The eventual goal is to upgrade the database to the latest version of FileMaker. (12, I think)

Would the upgrade from .fm (Filemaker 3) or .fp7 (Filemaker 9) be to FileMaker 12, involve pretty much the same tasks (without too many surprises) as the upgrade I just did?

David