5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 5:59 AM by coherentkris

Corrupt Record

keitho

I am using Filemaker Pro Advance 12 and have an issue with a corrupt record

A client has created a blank record and when I go to delete this particular record, it deletes the whole database i.e. I end up with no data whats so ever

I can re instate the data from the last backup, but I would like to get rid of the affending record. I have no other problems with the database, just this record

Can enyone help?

Keitho

Problem Solved

Thanks everyone who repyed

• 1. Re: Corrupt Record

Hopefully it is this simple: You may have a relationship that deletes related records. Occam's Razor will hopefully win the day.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Corrupt Record
            gdurniak

Please give a brief description of your Tables, and any Relationships

Which Table is this record in,  and which Table is the data in ?

greg

> A client has created a blank record and when I go to delete this particular record, it deletes the whole database i.e. I end up with no data whats so ever

• 3. Re: Corrupt Record
              Vaughan

Get a backup copy of the database onto your local machine. Save a compressed copy of it. Open the copy and try deleting the record again. If it still deletes all then do a recover and test again with the recovered file. Read the recover log for clues as to the problem.

The issue about cascading delete is possible, but would have likely occurred with other records too.

• 4. Re: Corrupt Record
                keitho

Hi

You were on the right track, thanks

the customer table was linked to another table, I disabled the link, deleted the corrupt record then re attached the link, worked great..

I tried deleting another record before breaking the link and that record deleted fine, so there must have been some corruption on the record in quetsion

Thanks

• 5. Re: Corrupt Record
                  coherentkris

Because its fixed now does not mean that it will never rear its ugly head again.

If it is in fact corruption then murphys law applies.

A thoughtful root cause analysis is always good practice when corruption is suspected.

K

1 of 1 people found this helpful