5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 3:00 AM by filemaker@i-absolute.com

PHP-Sessions linger in admin console client list

kalle_samuelsson

Hi

I noticed a difference in FileMaker Server 12 vs previous versions and would like some more information on this. When using PHP-API to access data in a database hosted on a FileMaker Server 11, the request is normally processed so fast that the client list in FMS Admin Console never shows the PHP request. The client list updates to slow to have time to register the PHP request. Only if a time consuming script or a unstored find-request on large a dataset is performed using PHP-API then maybe the PHP request will show up on the client list.

In FileMaker Server 12v2 on both Windows and MacOS it appears that all PHP requests are shown for about a minute or so on the client list in FMS Admin Console. This happens even if a very simple request, that accoring to PHP takes less then 300ms, is performed.

I have seen this behavior on three different serverns now. Both MacOS 10.7, 10.8 and Windows 2008 Server. Is this a new feature in FMS12? Is the actual session in WPE (TomCat) actually persistant for about 1 minute? Hopefully the session is closed as soon the the request respons is delivied through WPE to PHP and what I see in the client list is only a ghost-session, with only purpose to inform me about that a client was connected.

Does anyone know more about this? Is it a real 60 sec session I see or is it a ghost? I cen´t find anything about this in FMS Help/Manual.

Cheers!

• 1. Re: PHP-Sessions linger in admin console client list
          Mike_Mitchell

This is a change, and is deliberate. It's a performance-enhancing / bandwidth conserving feature. Since a certain amount of negotiating has to take place to establish and then terminate a connection, the connections are retained for a while to cut down on that negotiating traffic.

Mike

• 2. Re: PHP-Sessions linger in admin console client list
            kalle_samuelsson

Hi Mike!

I see, so that would be beneficial if you perform several requests in a row in guess. If you only one make one request per page-load but have a lot of page-views (users) if could acctually work againt you, right? I mean it will make the max of 200 CPW-sessions run out faster.. or parhaps thats just theoretical in my head =)

Do you know it is the same for "pure" XML-requests or is it just when using PHP-API?

Thanks for the quick respons!

Edit:

How do I set a reply as the correct anwser? =)

• 3. Re: PHP-Sessions linger in admin console client list
              Mike_Mitchell

I can't answer either question, unfortunately. Maybe someone else knows for sure. I would speculate that, if a new request comes in while an old session is still open, the old session would be dropped, but I can't guarantee that.

I haven't seen this happen on an XML request. I suggest experimenting. Then you can report back and tell us what you find out.  

• 4. Re: PHP-Sessions linger in admin console client list
                kalle_samuelsson

Well I did a few requests and it seems that XML requests are handled the same way as PHP-requests. Quite logical since PHP interacts with WPE through server/fmi/xml/ when execute() or commit() methods (and a few more methods) are called. A session is made visible in the client list in admin console just a few seconds after the request is send from the browser and stays there for about 165 seconds. It´s hard to measure how long the session persists since the admin console dont update that frequvent. I guess the exact TTL could be found if we dig in the WPE config files.. dosen´t really matter, atleast I now know this is a new behaviour for FMS 12.

Guess next step is to do some Apache Workbenching =)

• 5. Re: PHP-Sessions linger in admin console client list
                  filemaker@i-absolute.com

I also have this problem with webusers sessions.

I have a page that show a recordset (200 records).

Every records calls a sub-page (img.php - for container image).

The odd behavior is in admin console, i have a block request over 100 webusers (FileMaker Server 12 - non adv) and until the first 100 webusers session aren't expired, the next requests are in queue.

1 request, for recordset.

99 request for first 99 img.php

When the first expired, the next performs.

Fabio

Il giorno 25/ott/2012, alle ore 18:01, kalle_samuelsson <noreply@filemaker.com> ha scritto:

In FileMaker Server 12v2 on both Windows and MacOS it appears that all PHP requests are shown for about a minute or so on the client list in FMS Admin Console. This happens even if a very simple request, that accoring to PHP takes less then 300ms, is performed.