7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 2:18 AM by GüntherHeinrich

Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12

MarkB

Greeting All,

On a Windows XP system we developed a Point of Sale and Inventory control solution in FMP-11 which uses an Epson TM-T88V Printer Model M244A receipt printer. In FMP-11, the quality of the print was excellent. We then converted to FMP-12 (v2). No changes were done to any code. All of a sudden, the print quality looked like something from a 30 year old dot matrix printer. I have done tests printing sample receipts from Word and the result is sharp and clean. Only things printed from FMP appear junky. Has anyone else seen print quality go down after converting to FMP-12? Is this a similar issue as devhunt reported in "Converted Print layouts truncating printed text in Filemaker 12"? With the problems reported in Windows after upgrading to v3, I'm reluctant to do that at this time. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• 1. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
          MattLeach

There have been several reports of degraded print quality but according to the release notes for v3:

Printing:
          • Addressed an issue where fields set to display with one border showed the other borders as hairline width when printed.
          • Addressed an issue where field contents in certain fonts were truncated when printed as PDF and the Inspector “Remove blank space by” option was set to “Sliding left.”
          • Addressed an issue where empty portal rows could appear even when the Inspector “Remove blank space by” option was set to “Sliding up.”
          • Improvements made to the printing quality of image thumbnails in container fields.

May want to give it a try and see if its better. So far the only issue i've come across with v3 on Windows is the thickness of the borders with portals

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
            bitterlich

Hi Mark,

sounds like you have similar problems as I have.

What I figured was that whev using v12.0 printouts containing containerfields with images or images directly embedded in the layout would be rendered as a bitmap.

I figured this out, because we print in our company via Fineprint or Adobe PDF Printer.

What I did was banish any images from printouts by marking them and containers as "don't print".

Now after every upgrade there was (v12.3) the problem still exists and went up one level, now it seems that print outs will be rendered as bitmaps even though there are no images embedded or containers in the layout.

My question is, have I made a mistake while designing the layouts, was there an error in the conversion vom v11 to v12 or is this a general bug that must be fixed?

Cheers

Matthias

• 3. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
              MarkB

Hi Matthias,

We have graphics on our printed layout too - it is the company logo and must be on the sales receipt.  In my opinion, since this worked perfectly in FMP-11 and produces ugly quality now (I like the analogy of a 20 yr old ink jet printed on a paper towel), it must be a FMP problem.  I'm waiting for v12.4.  V3 did not fix the problem and only caused other problems on our Windows XP machines.  So we are holding off on upgrading the rest of the pcs.

Mark

• 4. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
                rbarlow03

Have you tried recreating that layout since the conversion to 12?  Or just a new layout with the graphic, etc your having issues with?  Just to confirm its not a conversion issue?

• 5. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
                  JimBrear

I noticed this when I converted our internal databases to 12.  Our letterhead graphic looked awful.

I had been using a .jpg image for the graphic.

Changing the original to a .png image and reimporting made a huge difference.

Best Wishes

Jim Brear

COAMAS Services

PO Box 1542 Armidale NSW 2350

Mobile Phone: 0429 428 700

Home Office Phone: (02) 6772 3933

Fax: (02) 6771 3666

email: jbrear@coamas.com.au

Web  http://www.coamas.com.au <http://www.coamas.com.au/

COAMAS - Community Options, Advocacy, Management and Accounting Software

• 6. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
                    bitterlich

Yep, just tried to recreate with an empty DB .

I just put a PNG in the layout and printed, the result was the same, the whole page will be rendered as bitmap image and send to the spooler.

Matthias

• 7. Re: Print quality decreased after conversion to version 12
                      GüntherHeinrich

I have also problems printing PDFfiles from Filemaker 12.0.3 on Windows:

all the "text" placed on the layout (fields and labeltext) are converted to "grafics" in the PDF file. This gives a very poor quality. I use standard "Arial" font. PDF printing in the past version (under FM 6 to FM 10) quality of the PDF was OK. The solution was converted from prior Version (FM 10).

There is also no difference in the quality (and the "text" conversion) when I use the "send to PDF" in Filemaker or use "Adobe Acrobat Printer" or other PDF-Writer. Tried also with complete new formated Layouts. No change.

Does someone have an idea wht is going wrong?

Günther Heinrich

member of unit5 - g.heinrich@unit5.de - Munich, Germany