1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 3:16 PM by dhgerstman

Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables

dhgerstman

I have just upgraded an older database to FileMaker 9.

I noticed that I have multiple instances of certain tables.

i.e. in Manage External Data Sources I see TableOne, TableOne 2, and TableOne 3. (They are all instances of the table TableOne.fp7)

I deleted the extra versions or instances and exited FileMaker, but when I re-opened the database, those instances were back.

Is it possible to track down their origins of these copies so I can permanently remove them?

Thank you,

David

• 1. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
          nickchapin

I've seen this happen when converting old stuff. Check your External Data Sources. Chances are that multiple relationships were created pre-7; you can check in the EDS view, find them in the scripts, field defs, etc., then re-map them.

Nick

• 2. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
            dhgerstman

i.e. I have to check all relationships and scripts. There's no short cut.

David

• 3. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
              nickchapin

If that's your issue (multiple "relationships" in the data sources), then yes. I'm a big fan of Developer Assistant and find it fairly painless to make those kinds of changes when I have that tool available.

Nick

• 4. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                dhgerstman

OK, thanks. Not quite the answer I wanted. :-)

David

• 5. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                  ErikWegweiser

As Nick suggested, this is probably due to the .fp5 file conversion to .fp7; the former having these multiple external data sources already, invisible internally, but made evident post-conversion.

Although it has been a long time since I've needed to do a conversion, I always depend on Waves in Motion's MetadataMagic (v2.0.3), which not only assists in the

sometimes important pre-conversion modifications and post-conversion considerations, but also includes a "File Reference Fixer," that seems to reliably merge

duplicate file references, such that when you actually do convert to .fp7, these duplicate external file references no longer exist.

The problem with just 'deleting' duplicate external file references in .fp7 files is that parts of the database may depend on one iteration of the reference, while other elements depend on the 'duplicate' iteration(s) of the file reference.

Other tools, such as BaseElements and InspectorPro, can help analyze post-conversion, particularly in the area of "where is everything used or NOT used."

HTH

Added: I suppose what I'm suggesting is that if possible, you go back to the .fp5 files, "fix" them, then re-convert (unles it turns out there are few complications allowing you to delete the duplicate file references).

Message was edited by: ErikWegweiser

• 6. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                    dhgerstman

Erik. Again thanks.

When the next upgrade comes along, I'll see about ordering the utilities you recommend.

David

• 7. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                      fitch

I second the vote for MetadataMagic -- the company is New Millennium (newmillennium.com).

It's a product for FileMaker 5/6, so you run it before converting. It's a must for any complex FileMaker solution.

• 8. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                        dhgerstman

Thank you.

I'll suggest this to my boss.

David

• 9. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                          dhgerstman

I don't know if this is related. But I've noticed that after changing certain scripts or relationships (by changing the file name to the most recent file version) and exiting FileMaker, the next time I open FileMaker, some of those changes are undone.With the scripts, I know that I've saved the changes.

Is there some step I'm missing?

David

• 10. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                            ErikWegweiser

David:

Hmmm. Not exactly certain what you're doing, but it sounds like in your development environment you re-name files as you go to keep track of versions (personally, I re-name the folder containing all the related files and zip archive the folder every time I want to save a version snapshot. That way, I'm not always renaming files).

Anyway, if you have a file "Main Version 1.fp7" and a file called "More Data Version 1.fp7" and you re-name them to "Version 2," when you open "Main" it will ask you for the location of "More Data." In the dialog, you'll navigate to the file "More Data Version 2," and FileMaker will be happy until you close and re-open the file, because it does not permanently add that new path to the file you've selected. It's temporary that way.

To change the external reference path permanently, you need to Manage External Data Sources (File Menu) and re-specify the file for each source if the file has been re-named (or moved, depending on the type of path specified).

You see, then, some disadvantage of re-naming files (when not necessary arbitrary reasons).

• 11. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                              dhgerstman

Ok Erik. Thanks again. I'll take a look and see if that's the issue.

Have a great weekend. You've been a tremendous help these past few days.

David

• 12. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                                fitch

I would suggest you rename your archived versions, and don't rename the current version. Or use some other method to keep track, such as a custom function or even a text object on a layout.

If you must rename files, it's a good idea to use the developer tools in FileMaker Advanced. That's the whole point of it, it will update all the file references as needed.

• 13. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                                  dhgerstman

Erik,

I think this is what was going on.

There was a script to go back to a previous table.

It both opened the file and selected the window.

Opening an already open file, apparently creates a new instance of the table.

I deleted the Open File command and no longer have the problem.

David

PS You seem to have some experience with migrating older versions of FileMaker. How much FileMaker experience did you have before you started doing migrations?

• 14. Re: Extra copies (instances) of FileMaker tables
                                    ErikWegweiser

David: Sorry, I honestly can't picture what you're describing. Maybe more details and screen shots of your relationship graph, data source list, scripts, etc?

I've been working with FileMaker for 20 years (or so), so I do have a bit of experience migrating from one version to another, including from 6 to 7, of course.

1 2 Previous Next