7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 3:20 PM by RogerAC

easy question for empty field

RogerAC

Hi

Could someone please show me how to test for an empty field in a calculation so that I can use it to display only those records.

Thanks

Playbyte

• 1. Re: easy question for empty field
          JeffPenner

IsEmpty (field)

Jeff Penner

• 2. Re: easy question for empty field
            RogerAC

Thanks and now a follow on.

Using the above in a calulation is it possible to check that a field in another table is not empty as part of the same calculation

Playbyte

• 3. Re: easy question for empty field
              gwinzeler

Use ExecuteSQL  (

"SELECT Table1.yourselectedCol, Table2.yourselectedCol from Table1 join Table2 on Table1.key1 = Table2.key1 where Table1.emptyCol is null and Table2.emptyCol is null" ; "" ; "" )

The Table1.key and Table2.key hopefully are relationship keys that are not null.

GARY

• 4. Re: easy question for empty field
                comment

playbyte wrote:

Using the above in a calulation is it possible to check that a field in another table is not empty as part of the same calculation

You can check if a field in the first related record in another table is empty by =

IsEmpty ( AnotherTable::Somefield )

If that's not sufficient, provide more details about your situation.

• 5. Re: easy question for empty field
                  RogerAC

Thanks for these suggestions but still not got it working.

Situation is that I am unpicking a bespoke database designed for me but which has been adapted from another database that was doing similar tasks to what I required.

I am using a copy of the database to learn how to use Filemaker and get a better understanding of the bespoke database so that I can tweak or imporve as my needs change.

Main layout is for customers with a portal that shows the invoices on one tab and the orders on another. I am trying to use the portal filter tool to show the invoices in 2 ways

a) all invoices for the customer that are outstanding

b) all invoices.

The portal is displaying information from related 3 tables where the invoices are listed from a table named orders and invoices that have been paid are listed from a table named payments and the invoices themselves in a 3rd table. Portal has : Invoice No. Date payment due and Date invoice paid.

My fallback plan is to use a field to switch between differenet listing but I thought I could do it his different way which would also give me a wider knowledge.

Thanks again.

Roger

• 6. Re: easy question for empty field
                    comment

playbyte wrote:

The portal is displaying information form related 3 tables where the invoices are listed in a table named orders and invoices that have been paid are recorded in a table named payments and the invoices themselves in a 3rd table.

I am afraid you have lost me there.

• 7. Re: easy question for empty field
                      RogerAC

amended the paragraph