Well, I'm not sure why this works in the Data Viewer but breaks in the schema. But, as a workaround, I got it to work by using Substitute instead of the custom GFN function:
Substitute ( GetFieldName ( Comms::type ) ; "::" ; "." )
This puts the fully qualified field name into the query:
SELECT Comms.type FROM comms WHERE Comms.id =?
May not be exactly what you want, but ... hey, at least it works.
Thanks for that....i will use your work around for now.........many thanks
This is an interesting bugfeature that came up recently this thread.
When defining a calculation in Manage Database, all referenced fields must be from related tables. However, there's a glitch that allows you to wrap a field in GetFieldName() to get around that. But if you add some more to the calculation, it triggers something in FileMaker's validation routine returning a Parse error rather than the normal "This field comes from an unrelated table..." error.
David is correct. Forgot to mention: I used a Cartesian join between the two tables to get the calc engine to draw the fields in.
Thanks guys....that makes a whole lot more sense now........many thanks