11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 11:20 PM by Lemmtech

Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11

gobbles

Hi

I need to get hold of a copy of filemaker pro advanced 11.

I can't seem to find it for sale on the main site, can anyone point me in the direction of a copy ty.

• 1. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
          jormond

FileMaker should be able to get you a copy of the install files.  If you purchase, or already have, a license for 12 they will allow you to downgrade to 11.  You just need to contat them.

• 2. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
            gobbles

Thanks for the reply.

Work uses 11 and is currently planning not to upgrade. I want to purchase 11 as I need to do some additional developement outside of work.

Though contacting them is something I should try.

• 3. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
              jormond

Purchase 12.  Then call them and they will send you a download link for 11...and an install key.

• 4. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                gobbles

Why would I buy a piece of software I have no intention of using?

My workplace has been quite clear in this. At this stage and for the forceable future they will be sticking to pre-12 versions of FM Pro. We have to work with other offices that have versions as old as 9 and are unlikely to replace them for the forceable future. If 12 was backwards compatible fine, but my understanding is it is not.

I realise that 12 is great and everyone really should be using it etc, however, I have zero need for it. I need 11 (or even 10 would do to be honest)

• 5. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                  eshoshin

You need to purchase a license for FM... currently you can only purchase a license for 12.  Once you purchase said license (don't bother downloading 12), you can call FMI and have them downgrade the license to work for 11, at which point they will send you a link where you can download FM11.

It's not a big deal.  We helped a client get a license for FM6 after purchasing FM11 last year.

I wouldn't look at it as "purchase FM12" but more as "purchase a license for FM."  You can have the license applied to whichever previous version of FM you want.

Hope that helps explain what Joshua was trying to say.

Ethan

• 6. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                    jormond

Just remember that purchasing a used software you will want to transfer the license to your name.

Go with purchasing a license from FMI...and get the downgrade from FileMaker to 11.

• 7. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                      gobbles

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am genuinely grateful.

I just find having to buy 12 inorder to get 11 a little obtuse.

• 8. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                        jormond

As already mentioned you are buying a license of FileMaker. Since 12 is the shipping version, that's what you get.  FileMaker is willing to give you a the install files and key for any still supported versions.

Honestly, not "selling" you 11 is just part of keeping things moving forward.  Plus it still has a benefit for you.  You already have access to 12 when you are ready to upgrade.

• 9. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                          wsvp

Currently (as far as I know) if you purchase FileMaker 12, you can get FM11 for around $10.00.  I consider this a good practice and very fair.

I do have one concern... While I know this arrangement cannot go on forever... there are many end users who will need to add new terminals for existing FM11 solutions.  Because FM12 has some "SIGNIFICANT" layout conversion issues this can complicate things.  If FM were to "shut off" access to new FM11 licenses too soon, it could be a problem...

If FM discontinues access to FM11, the end user will be forced to pay developers to rework their solutions for FM12.  I know in some cases this may benefit developers, but if this happens "too soon" it can have a negative effect on the relationship between the developers and their clients.  It simply may not be in the immediate budget for the client, or in the time available to the developer, to make the changes necessary.  This would result in end users looking for "used" versions of FM11 on eBay or Craig's List... "I think we all know what that means."  I don't think this would be in the best interest of anybody here or at FileMaker.

I really hope FileMaker continues this arrangement for at least another year.

• 10. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                            jormond

FM is still supporting back to 10 at the moment.  I think the general practice is 3 versions.  Or at least that's what I've seen since joining the FileMaker world.

• 11. Re: Where to find copy of Filemaker Pro Advanced 11
                              Lemmtech

If you are on maintenaince you sould be able to get keys for 11 for a while. Also remember is you already have an installer for 11 just use it and increase your licenses the next time your maintaince gets renewed. Any one the has 11 now should have an installer already so I'm not sure why this is really as issue.

As others have said FMI just wants you to pay for license they really don't care what version you are using. Since the software is delivered electronically I just don't know how long they will keep the FM 11 download link active, but given all the issues with 12 I suspect for a while.