Skip navigation
All Places > Discussions > Discussions
Log in to create and rate content, and to follow, bookmark, and share content with other members. Not a member? Join Now!
AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMP 12 DB as an external data source ... 30 second pause ...

Question asked by user16619 on Oct 31, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 1, 2012 by user16619

FMP 12 DB as an external data source ... 30 second pause ...

I have a FMP 12 Database that uses a second FMP 12 Database as an external data source. The second DB contains about 3,500 records.
In the application I have it defined in the relationship graph. The second database resides on another server, running FMP 12 Server and is accessed via the internet.

There seems to be an "event" occurring once that causes a 30 - 40 second delay ... Tea cup present. I have a button in the app that calls a script that simply lists names from the external source. Once selected it populates inof about the person.

Even if I do not activate the script, the pause will occurr once after launching the application. I can duplicate the pause by trying to use database manager, or modifying a field.

Is there caching that is being done and this is somethign to expect or is it a config issue?

Accessing the second database normally does not experience the pause.

Outcomes

• Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Scott.

Yes, there is caching that's being done. Whenever you open a database, FileMaker performs a series of caching operations on the Relationships Graph. It goes through the graph and parses out all the tables, joins, etc. If it's accessing external files, then it has to process the credentials to get into those other files, as well as the normal process. Depending on the size of the graph, number of joins, and network speed (you mentioned that this other database is on a second server on the open Internet), it's entirely normal for there to be a significant pause.

HTH

Mike

• user16619

Thank You Mike for the quick reply ...

Yes this helps ... It confirms what I "Felt" was going on ... I can explain it to the users ....

Thanks again.

• gdurniak

An initial delay over the internet makes sense, but not each time you modify

3,500 records is tiny. How many Mb is that ? How many fields ? is the opening layout huge ?

Have you defined any other external data sources ?

Try Pinging the external IP address, and check the latency

greg

> I can duplicate the pause by trying to use database manager, or modifying a field.

> The second database resides on another server, running FMP 12 Server and is accessed via the internet.

• user16619

There isn't much latency .... ~19ms

The pause only occurs once per session after opening the database.

The modifying the field was through editting the layout. If I have experienced the pause once then there is not any further pauses.