12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 11:19 PM by LaRetta

How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?

MallieWilliams

3 classes

15 students

4 individaul test scores

Bonus points= Class avrg

• 1. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
          comment

kojack1976 wrote:

3 classes

15 students

4 individaul test scores

A more detailed description would be useful. Assuming each student is in one class only (and that's a very bold assumption), you would have the following tables:

Classes -< Students -< Scores

The class average can then be calculated in the Classes table as =

Average ( Scores::Score )

• 2. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
            MallieWilliams

How would I script this list to average out these numbers?

• 3. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
              comment

I'm afraid I cannot open v.12 files yet.

• 4. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?

Well you only have one table with fields like this:

Math Test 1

Math Test 2

Math Test 3

Science Test 1

Science Test 2

You need to establish a relational structure first as Michael suggests.  :^)

• 6. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
                  MallieWilliams

How would I sketch this out though...in my layout and I headed in the right direction? Do I need to set it up in a different way..I some use to Excel I need to think 3 demintional don't I? What's the best route to take in doing it in FM?

• 7. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?

Hi Kojack,

Here is an example file (in v11 and v12 both) of basic structure similar to your needs.  This is not exactly how Michael indicated but I think that was just my misinterpretation of the terms so he may want to change it if need be (or make suggestions).   I just wanted to assist you down the right relational road.  I also showed how to include value lists with pop-ups and conditional value list as well. 

This file shows how one-to-many (1:n) works (such as one Class to many Tests) and how many-to-many (n:n) is resolved (many Students taking many Tests) by using a join table (in this case Scores ... one record for every score for every test/student).  Looking at the lines between the tables in the graph, the straight line is the 'one' side and the fork is the 'many' side.  FM makes that assumption and it isn't definitive but it visually assists in understanding how they relate.  Also note that the same summary field from Scores is used throughout to display the average. 

Depending upon where the portals are placed, the summary may need a nudge to refresh.  But the portal of Scores was created on Classes then I just copy and pasted it onto Students and Tests.  And they all adjust to that relationship/perspective.  And if I am unclear or off base just ask.  You will need to sign in to download the zip file. :^)

Added ... only once the structure is determined should we look at the interface and User perspective.  So this file does not provide the Grade Sheet with Students that you are asking for ... it's purpose is to provide (or help determine) the base only.

Message was edited by: LaRetta

• 8. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
                      MallieWilliams

The only thing that I couldn't figure out is implimenting the 4 individual scores..each student had 4 Test in each classroom..

• 9. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
                        MallieWilliams

So how did you approach the problem? do you go from a layout perspective when designing in edit Layout mode? Which rout do you take to design in FM? I was told to research the Anchor Buoy Method which help a little..being a web designer I'm a more visual designer..I hope that you'll understanding what I'm asking.

• 10. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
                          MallieWilliams

Hey..LaRetta..thanks for the example! Looking at the file that you post..As far as the design or route you took.In FM you created 4 databases right? Meaning Student,Classes,Scores and Test right? You have student ID that represents First Name, Last Name, and score..Then you have TestID with cFull Name and sAverage..I'm trying to understand the layout method your using..If you look at the file I uploaded maybe I'm think more of a spreadsheet type of design rather then a 3-D database design method. I'm just trying to figure out when dealing with any problem such as the one I've posted..how would I go about deciding my design method? I hope I'm not confusing you.

• 11. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?
                            MallieWilliams

This video helps me understand more..this is what I was trying to understand in designing..sorry about the confusion you'll..please give me feedback off the video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJKpWvJJI-0&feature=related

• 12. Re: How would you creat a grade sheet with students and then the average?

The file you uploaded ...you mean the multiple 'like' fields in your opening post?  The video you referenced shows a many-to-many join which is exactly what my file provides.  It is possible that I am missing your point, yes?  Well, you weren't lacking in the question department so let's get to it ;-)

KoJack said, ."The only thing that I couldn't figure out is implimenting the 4 individual scores..each student had 4 Test in each classroom."

Can you give us a visual example of what it should look like? Students in rows and test scores in columns or ?  And you want teachers to type scores into these slots?  This is the part that I think Michael understood that I did not.

KoJack said, " I was told to research the Anchor Buoy Method which help a little..being a web designer I'm a more visual designer."

I cannot say since i choose not to use AB.  I create an entity relationship first using the first (and special) base table occurrences ... to me, it is VERY visual and an important perspective to get straight since it also is where most calculations, auto-enters, lookups, Allow Related and deletions take place.   Yes I know other TOs can be used but I mean usually.  And once I have the entity, I create additional TOGs as needed which ends up requiring far less number of table occurrences than AB.  Every one of those TOs must be reconciled and most times they aren't even needed.  Also AB lacks ability to be bi-directional.

KoJack said, "I'm just trying to figure out when dealing with any problem such as the one I've posted..how would I go about deciding my design method?"

I am still unclear what you want. I think Michael saw more (and differently) than I.  I gave you a basic normalized structure first because without this basic NO solution could have come but that does not mean it was supposed to solve your original question, as I clarified earlier.  Others can speak up as well, but I need something to show me at least what it should look like and if it shows figures, what those figures represent.   :-)