5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 7:31 AM by konrad

Server Upgrades and Advice

smac11shl

Hello - I am running a FMP Server 10 and there are about 25 users using 3 databases. Lately getting data to and from has been quite slow. I am looking for any advice on how to increase speed and also how to get a quanative analysis of what 'slow' is. I would imagine that a simple solution would be to upgrade my Hardware and Software, so if you would suggest this could you give me some advice of what I should upgrade to? Also, would anyone suggest moving my database to a outsourced host? I also do develop while the database is live on the server.

I am an intermediate developer but have not worked with server much.

Any advice would help!

Here is what I have:

Windows Server 8

Filemaker Server 10

17 IOS users (iPods and iPads)

3 Filemaker Advanced 11 Users

5 Filemaker Pro 11 Users

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Server Upgrades and Advice
          Mike_Mitchell

We probably need a little more information to diagnose the issue. 25 users on 3 databases is well within FileMaker's capabilities. There is a fair number of issues that can affect performance:

- Server hardware

- Network bandwidth

- User load

- Processes running on the server

- Database design (including issues like table width, graphic use, unstored calculations, calculation optimization, relationship graph design, and others)

- etc.

What changed between the time performance was adequate and now? That's where I would start looking.

Mike

• 2. Re: Server Upgrades and Advice
            gdurniak

Please post your current harware

Keep in mind, it could be something simple. I once had a single bad ethernet cable muck up performance

"ping" your machines,  and look for errors

greg

> I am looking for any advice on how to increase speed and also how to get a quanative analysis of what 'slow' is.  I would imagine that a simple solution would be to upgrade my Hardware and Software

• 3. Re: Server Upgrades and Advice
              Lemmtech

I would upgrade to server 11, check how much ram is allowed to FM server and check your hard drive performance. Fast drives make a difference. Also turn off any services on the server you don't need. I assume it's running standard and not SBS which is not supported.

• 4. Re: Server Upgrades and Advice
                Vaughan

smac11shl wrote:

Here is what I have:

Windows Server 8

You mean Windows Server 2008, right?

• 5. Re: Server Upgrades and Advice
                  konrad

hi,

we did improve speed very much by replacing the servers Harddrive with a SSD !

sure, speed depends very much on the structure of your calculation fields and script steps. but beside this, the SSD was a greate improvement.

reg., konrad