4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2012 7:51 PM by jmci

What Could Be Causing the Debugger to be Not Very Responsive?

jmci

I am trying to debug a script that loops through a table of approximately 10,000 records. When I open the debugger and step through the script the debugger works extremely slowly. I have to wait for approximately one minute for each script step to execute and for the degugger to move to the next script step.

Here is another piece of information: in the middle of the script there is a call to a subscript. As soon as program execution enters the subscript all of a sudden the debugger is as responsive as I could hope but as soon as program execution returns to the calling script all of a sudden the debugger becomes incredibly sluggish again. Can anybody suggest what might be causing this?

• 1. Re: What Could Be Causing the Debugger to be Not Very Responsive?
          Mike_Mitchell

Just a guess: There's a lot to be evaluated in the current context. Open up the Data Viewer and see what's being evaluated.

Mike

• 2. Re: What Could Be Causing the Debugger to be Not Very Responsive?
            jmci

The data viewer list the fields on the current layout. It also list fields from other tables that are mentioned in the script but the values show as <Unrelated Table>. Finally it shows values of variables. Does that help?

• 3. Re: What Could Be Causing the Debugger to be Not Very Responsive?
              BruceHerbach

Hi Which version of FileMaker are you using.  There were a number of complaints about this when 12.0v1 came out. Currently 12.0v3 is available.  Not sure if there is an improvemtment on this issue.

One thing to try:  For scripts that will be doing a lot of work I create blank layout and use them in Form view.  No fields at all.  When the script runs it won't download additional records or populate Unstored calculation fields.  This can greatly increase the speed at which a  script runs.  Possibly using this method may help your debugger issue.  Note Find, your record set and go to next/previous record along with set field all work the same way they would if the fields were on the layout.

You note above indicates that the Data viewer shows fields from unrelated table.  On the Current tab it should show you fields that the script will use.   If the Script changes layouts,  the unrelated table field may be available on the other layout/context.   If the script is trying to access a field in an unrelated table,  this may indicate a problem.  you should check into it.

HTH

• 4. Re: What Could Be Causing the Debugger to be Not Very Responsive?
                jmci

I was driving ahead to deliver the current version of my project before taking the time to install the 12.0v3 upgrade. After reading your message I installed the upgrade and my problem immediately went away. Now I can step from one line to the next in the debugger with no delay. Thanks.