3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 2:29 AM by thomas_staehli

Why is FM server 12 missing files in external container?

ericruff

FM server 12 can't seem to find my data files in an externally stored container field. I have tried for hours over a period of 2 days to get it to work.

The purpose of this database "Client Archives.fmp12" is for storing and viewing documents (mostly .pdfs) of my past clients. Client Archives.fmp12 has a container field "DocumentsContainer" and this is set for external storage in a folder "Archive documents."

I have a new mac mini on which is installed both FM server 12 and a copy of FIlemaker Pro 12 which I can use for testing. I also have a mac pro on the same network running FM Pro 12 Advanced.

Before I got FM server, I had deployed all this on an iMac at the office where the database was on the iMac and the external container data was on a connected external hard disk. Ran like a charm. Then I thougt it would be great if everyone in our office couldf access these files so I decided to get FM server, thus the mac mini. I brought the mac mini home for testing before I return triumpantly to the office and deploy it there fore everyone. At home I also have my mac pro, so I can do network testing on my project.

The first thing was to upload the database to Server. When I tried to use the FM server upload database feature to bring it all into FM server, it didn't work and I got a communication error. I figured the problem was maybe the external hard disk location. Or maybe the fact that my database uses a plug-in (Troi Autmatisering File Plug-in) for which I have a single client copy but not the server version yet. Maybe Server reads every line of script before it will upload a database and was upset by this. I don't see it as a problem because I only use this plug-in for adding new documents to the database, and at this point I just want to see if remote FM clients can view the documents and this does not involve the plug-in. I am treating the documents as a closed set at this point.

Amyway, since FM server wouldn't let me upload the databse automatically, I manually uploaded the data base and the the container data to FM server. I believe I got everything located where is it supposed to go on the mac mini where FM Server is installed:

for the database: /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Client Archives.fmp12

for the external container: /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Files/ArchiveClientList/Archive documents/

I think I have the ownership and privileges set correctly. I used BatChmod to set Client Archives.fmp12 and all the folders (

Files/ArchiveClientList/Archive documents) as follows:

Owner: fmserver and Group: fmsadmin and I checked everything "on" for everyone - maybe overkill.

Within the FM Server itself, things look OK. The database Client Archives.fmp12 shows up properly on the databse list. I can Open the file and it shows Status Normal. I can serve it up and access that database remotely from my mac pro on the same network, so the database itself seems to be OK. But when I try to view a .pdf for a particular client in the container field (go to related record), I get a "<Missing: (filename.pdf)>" error.

So here is the first odd thing. I can get it to work fine locally on the mac mini using a copy of FIlemaker Pro 12 also installed there instead of server. That is, if I

1) close the file Client Archives.fmp12 on FM server and then

2) stop the server, and then

3) I run FIlemaker 12 Pro on the SAME mac mini where FM server is located,

4) I can open up the the same databse, still located at /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Client Archives.fmp12 and with the container documents still located at /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Files/ArchiveClientList/Archive documents

5) everything runs perfectly! I don't get any missing filename errors, and the .pdf documents display just fine.

That tells me that all the paths are correct, for example the setting for

Manage/Database/ for the field DocumentsContainer>Options>Storage> is set to: (checked) Store container data externally relative to: [hosted location]/Files/ArchiveClientList/ and (selected) Open Storage "Archive documents/"

I obseve something odd here. The two choices I was offered at this point for "relative to:" were (1) [hosted location]/Files/ArchiveClientList/ and the other (2) [hosted location]/Volumes/Archives External HD/ . The second of these was the old original external hard disk location before I ever got FM Server 12, and I don't know why FM still remembers this. But that's not the odd thing. The odd thing is the reference in choice #1 which was to the location "[hosted location]/Files/ArchiveClientList/ " I understood the reference to [hosted location]/Files/, but certainly not the reference to "ArchiveClientList/" I don't know where this language came from. On the other hand, FM was only giving me 2 choices and I sure didn't want to select the old external hard disk, so I picked choice #1. However I could see that FM was now adamant that within the FIles folder there ought to be another folder called "ArchiveClientList" so I made one up, stuck it inside

/Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases//Files/

and put my "Archive documents" folder inside the new AchiveClientList folder, so the complete path for the externally stored .pdf documents is:

/Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases//Files/ArchiveClientList/Archive documents/

So, why all this works fine with FIlemaker Pro 12 but not with FM Server 12 is the mystery to me. Anyone?

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Why is FM server 12 missing files in external container?
          NewFM_Dev

Hi Eric, I kind of skimmed thru your Q, but the thing that got my attention was the missing file.

I had this problem, and I cannot remember exactly, but it had to do with fields/container data being stored or not

stored, and/or external or local storage. Make also sure that your IP is static [I think it is, from what you describe], and/or contact your

server host [if its not you] to see if the files are actually stored locally or externally. IMPORTANT: Even if you have chosen local storage, the

actual files may be stored elsewhere...Hope this helps.

-NewB

• 2. Re: Why is FM server 12 missing files in external container?
            wimdecorte

ericruff wrote:

Before I got FM server, I had deployed all this on an iMac at the office where the database was on the iMac and the external container data was on a connected external hard disk.  

That is not going to translate well to FMS, FMS requires all externally stored container data files to be in a sub-folder of where the FM file tiself is.

Amyway, since FM server wouldn't let me upload the databse automatically, I manually uploaded the data base and the the container data to FM server.  I believe I got everything located where is it supposed to go on the mac mini where FM Server is installed:

for the database:  /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Client Archives.fmp12

for the external container: /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Files/ArchiveClientList/Archive documents/

Nope, that's not correct.  The easiest way to find out what the path really should be is to create a new record in your hosted file and insert something into the container.  That'll create the correct folder for you.

The first thing was to upload the database to Server.  When I tried to use the FM server upload database feature to bring it all into FM server, it didn't work and I got a communication error.  I figured the problem was maybe the external hard disk location.  Or maybe the fact that my database uses a plug-in (Troi Autmatisering File Plug-in) for which I have a single client copy but not the server version yet.  Maybe Server reads every line of script before it will upload a database and was upset by this.

Nope, I don't think it does.

One thing you can do is on your local machine where you have the non-hosted version of the solution is to do a "save as - self contained" which will import all the container data back into the container itself instead of storing it remotely.  That will give you the one FM file to upload to FMS.  Once it is there you can change the storage option on the container and FMS will put the container data in the correct folders.

• 3. Re: Why is FM server 12 missing files in external container?
              thomas_staehli

Hi eric,

for the database:  /Library/Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/Client Archives.fmp12

Something seems wrong in your external container location. On my server, FM server created a folder RC_Data_FMS in the folder where my fmp files are located.

Filemaker Server/Data/Databases/RC_Data_FMS/(FileName)/Files/(FileName)/(OpenContainer path)/

In the container setup I have

[hosted location]/Files/test/

I checked this on a Mac server and a windows server, on an existing database and a test file that I've just created, it always seems to follow this same structure.