5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 7:33 PM by BowdenData

New to Filemaker 12 - creating artist's archive

arcmuse

Hi, I'm new to FM12. I am creating an inventory archive for my husband's fine art business. He needs a way to organize his art and keep a record of size, pricing, collectors, galleries, etc... I tried using the Inventory template but found it easier to make my own custom records with fields. But I don't know how I can print out select portions of the data. For instance, if I want to print a chart showing only photos sold by one gallery, how do I do that? If someone could point me to a video or tutorial, I would be most grateful. I am not familiar with the FM jargon so don't even know what to search for. Thank you.

• 1. Re: New to Filemaker 12 - creating artist's archive
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, arcmuse. Welcome to FileMaker!

To answer your specific question (how to print photos sold by one gallery), you would do two basic things:

1) Build a layout that has the "stuff" on it that you want to print (by going into Layout Mode, choosing New Layout and adding the elements you want - including the container field that holds the photos).

2) When that's done, and you're happy with how it looks (you can use Preview Mode to look at it without printing), you can use a Find request to locate just the records you want. Do that by:

a) Entering Find Mode (Ctrl- or Cmd-F).

b) Enter the name of the gallery into the appropriate field.

c) Click "Perform Find" (or just press "Enter").

When done, the records you're looking at (termed the "found set") will be just the ones that match the gallery you entered. At this point, if you choose Print or Preview, you'll see just the records that match your search, in the layout you designed.

If you want to get more training on how to perform Find requests, check out Module 1 of the FileMaker Training Series. Module 4 covers working with layouts. The full version of FTS is at https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-1091; you can download a free sampler that includes Module 4 at https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-2796.

Hope that helps.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Filemaker 12 - creating artist's archive
            arcmuse

Thank you very much Mike, that was a very quick response and I'm grateful that there are people out there to help newbies!  I will immediately check out the modules that you suggested.  We were originally going to purchase an artist archive, but didn't like the products out there, so this FM12 may be the solution!

-arcmuse

• 3. Re: New to Filemaker 12 - creating artist's archive
              Vaughan

arcmuse wrote:

Hi, I'm new to FM12.  I am creating an inventory archive for my husband's fine art business.  He needs a way to organize his art and keep a record of size, pricing, collectors, galleries, etc...  I tried using the Inventory template but found it easier to make my own custom records with fields.  But I don't know how I can print out select portions of the data.  For instance, if I want to print a chart showing only photos sold by one gallery, how do I do that?  If someone could point me to a video or tutorial, I would be most grateful.  I am not familiar with the FM jargon so don't even know what to search for.  Thank you.

FM 12 is the development environment, not the solution itself. Don't underestimate the amount of time and effort required to create such a solution. Some have been in development for literally several years.

Take a look at The Stockroom, created by Mardi Kennedy who is a regular poster on this forum:

http://www.the-stockroom.com

• 4. Re: New to Filemaker 12 - creating artist's archive
                DavidJondreau

I've done a databases for a couple galleries and one for a dealer.

Drop me a line it you'd like: david@wingforward.net

• 5. Re: New to Filemaker 12 - creating artist's archive
                  BowdenData

Hi,

Another existing product worth having a look at is the Art Licensing Manager by CampSoftware.

http://campsoftware.com/products/artlicensingmanager/

HTH.

Doug