7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 2:52 PM by flusheddata

Help sum a count field

bmccoy

I have a database with three fields.

Manager, Employee Name, Time Not =Entered (date field)

Each manager will have many employees who do not enter their time. I know how to count the employees by Manager and I did that by created this field: Count (Employee Name)

But, I now can’t figure out how to only count each employee 1 time as oppose to counting each instance of the employee for a particular manager.

Example: Manager Smith will have 5 different employees, but the total record count will be 25 for Manager Smith for his group of 5 employees. I only want my field to show 5 as that is the actual total employees Manager Smith has. I can't figure out how summary this. Each time I try, I get 25.

Help a novice programmer.

• 1. Re: Help sum a count field
          flusheddata

Hi,

You need two tables EMPLOYEE and MANAGER.

In the MANAGER table you need a field Manager_ID (sequential-autogenerated number), a field name, etc.

In the EMPLOYEE table you need a field Employee_ID (sequential-autogenerated number), a field Manager_ID, afield name. etc.

Then make a relationship from MANAGER::Manager_ID to EMPLOYEE::Manager_ID.

You may crate a value list MANAGERS based on the field Manager_ID showing the name field too.

Then, in the Employees layout assign this value list to the field Manager_ID so when you create a new record for a employee you assign him/her a manager from the value list.

Then you may put a portal in the Manager Layout to show all his/her employees.

I hope this helps,

King regards,

Miguel Angel

• 3. Re: Help sum a count field
            bmccoy

Thank you. 

• 4. Re: Help sum a count field
              bmccoy

Hi,

Here are my fields. How do I make my fields work wiht your solution.  Thank you so much for your time.

1. Manager Name
              2. Employee Name
              3. Time Not Entered (date field)
              • 5. Re: Help sum a count field
                flusheddata

Hi,

herewith you have a tip file.

I hope it will help you.

Best regards,

• 6. Re: Help sum a count field
                  bmccoy

Hi,

Thank you so much for your solution.  However, it is so over my simply filemaker skills.  So, I have attached my file.  All I need is to apply a calculation that will count the number of employees for a particular manager.  The employee can be listed in ly database more than one time.

Manager:  Alok  Karnwal count should 1

Manager:  Anandaraman Thirumalai count should be 6

The total records in my database are 39.

It could be that I might have to create a related file to get what I need.

I will remain hopeful that someone can help a simply programmer such as I.

Blanche

• 7. Re: Help sum a count field
                    flusheddata

Hi,

You have Name (whose), Delivery manager, Project, Employee, Group leader and Project leader all in the same table.

A record is an instance of one and only one entity while a field is an entity's propperty.

Let's think of an entity PERSON. Every person (John, Anne, Will, etc.) is a record.

Every PERSON has attributes or properties ( name, phone number, height, weight, address, etc.).Theese are fields.

So you have put entities into fields when they should be records in a table. Everything is mixed up.

So you would need a table for Projects, a table for Employees, a table for Managers, etc. Then make relationships between them.

Sorry for my dreadful English, I hope you understand well.

I would recommend you to have a look to the FileMaker Pro help. Chapter "About relationships". There's a basic approach.

I apologize for not being able to help you any further

Best regards,