3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2012 8:42 PM by Malcolm

How to create a launch page for a suite of related databases?

spidra

Hi, I've written a few simple FM databases in the past and would like to learn to develop more complex ones. I have something ambitious in mind and want to identify the concepts/technologies I need to learn to achieve it.

At a former workplace of mine, they hired an obviously skilled FM developer collective to write a tailored solution. It had a database with (presumably) one record that contained buttons that linked to several related databases hosted on a network server. (1) What do you call it when you create a launch page like that in FM Pro? (2) What are the concepts/tech behind that? and (3) Is it only possible to create that for a networked solution rather than something available on one customer's local computer?

I'm most appreciative of any leads more experienced folks can provide. Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: How to create a launch page for a suite of related databases?

What you describe is a Main Menu or dashboard.  The layout can be based upon any table but usually it is a Preferences or utility one-record table.  Buttons are tied to scripts which simply perform actions within the same file (usually) by switching to different layouts which can be based upon any table (external or not).  By creating external references to other data sources, they all become available in one file.

This is not difficult at all and ANY file can be designed that way.  :-)

As for attaching several external FM databases, the question might be why they are external rather than taking advantage of the file's multi-table abilities ... not that I'm implying multiple files don't sometimes serve a good purpose but generally only one or tap suffice.

Message was edited by: LaRetta

Not tap ... two ... one or two suffice.  Sometimes iPad guesses my words and it is wrong LOL

• 2. Re: How to create a launch page for a suite of related databases?
            spidra

Thank you so much! I didn't even know the right words to use in a search so Google wasn't helping me.  I'm assuming that at this business there were several different databases because some were used much more by one department than another and maybe keeping them separate would reduce the number of times where someone couldn't get in and edit something because someone had the record open elsewhere.

So if I want to look up tutorials for this (in books or online), what subject should I be looking for? Dashboards? Tables?

• 3. Re: How to create a launch page for a suite of related databases?
              Malcolm

a database with (presumably) one record that contained buttons that linked to several related databases hosted on a network server.

(1) What do you call it when you create a launch page like that in FM Pro?

That sounds like an "opener", "home", "menu" or "navigation"

(2) What are the concepts/tech behind that?

Almost none. They are simply buttons. They may have a one line "open file" instruction or a script attached.

(3) Is it only possible to create that for a networked solution rather than something available on one customer's local computer?

Certainly. It's up to you. However, your users must have some way to access the networked solution. You could leave it to them to use "open remote..." and locate the correct database. Distributing an opener file which they can place on their desktop is a convenience for them.

Malcolm