I experienced similar behavior with my FMSA 12 running on Windows 7 on Parallels with IIS 7.
What works for me is to stop the mDNSResponder service and restart Windows. Then the WPE starts. But ever and again I have to repeat this action. It's pretty annoying.
Hope this helps a little..
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. At this point I'm just going to create a new VM and start from scratch. Hopefully it will work this time.
I've tried a few more things and here are the results.
First, I should note that I initially installed FMS in a VM with Windows Server 2008 R2 running on ESX 4.1. That's the one I had the problems on.
Just as a test, I tried installing FMS in a VM in VMware Workstation 9. That worked just fine. Didn't run into any issues.
I figured this must mean that the first time was a fluke. So I created an identical VM on ESX 4.1 and went through the exact same install process I used on the Workstation 9 VM. But this time the same problem that I had initially happened again. So I can only assume that there's some difference between the two VMs. I have no idea what it is.
I decided to try uploading the VM I created in Workstation 9 (the one where FMS web server works) to my ESX server to see if that would work. It did. So while it's absolutely ridiculous to have to do it this way, I haven't found another solution.
I sympathise... in fact... empathise with you.
I spent 2 days developing PHP pages then 2 weeks trying to deploy them on Windows Server 2008 R2 using iiS. The responsibility for server set up was not mine but of course I got landed with it as I was the only one who could troubleshoot it. It was the worst install nightmare I have had since I began configuring servers for FM back in '93. I could have bought a Mac and installed all the software much cheaper than the time it cost me.