3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2014 3:12 PM by jlisburn

Date/Region format mess

jlisburn

Hi,

I've got myself into a pickle with Language/Regional/Date formats.

When my Lion server was delivered its was set as Canadian and this outputs the date format: YYYY-MM-DD which is what the Candian Government uses but no other organization uses. In practical terms everyone uses MM/DD/YYYY.

I started building my solution partially on the server only to find my error when I try to use Dates in Calcs. My laptop is set as US and now I have a mish-mash of date format types.

2013-10-10 - 11/19/2012 gives me '?'

Does anyone know of a way to correct these other than removing all the date fields and recreating them

My own fault I realize; I just wish I'd realized it earlier

MTIA

• 1. Re: Date/Region format mess
          BowdenData

jlisburn wrote:

I've got myself into a pickle with Language/Regional/Date formats.

When my Lion server was delivered its was set as Canadian and this outputs the date format: YYYY-MM-DD which is what the Candian Government uses but no other organization uses. In practical terms everyone uses MM/DD/YYYY.

My laptop is set as US and now I have a mish-mash of date format types.

Does anyone know of a way to correct these other than removing all the date fields and recreating them?

Hi,

I think you need to ensure that you have everything in sync. When you first create a dB, it takes on the date format of the computer that first opens it. Sounds like to me that you want this "native" format to be MM/DD/YYYY.

Do the following with a LOCAL copy of the existing dB. I am assuming here that your solution consists of only one physical file.

1. Ensure your computer is set to the desired date format in the control panel/settings.
          2. Open up the exist dB and under the File menu, do a Save a Copy As
          3. Select Clone as the type. Select a different target folder so you can change the proposed filename to be the same is it is now (remove the word Clone).
          4. Open up the new file and it will take on the date format you desire

If you need to get the data out of the old file and import into the new file, you will need to export it from the old system and then import. You will have to accommodate the different date formatting though. I find it best to use a special layout for exporting that has the date field(s) on it and pre-formatted. Then you can use the export option to have it use the formats of the current layout.

If you are not familiar with this bit, look it up in the FM Help and/or let us know back here and we can help.

HTH.

Doug

• 2. Re: Date/Region format mess
            jlisburn

Many thanks, that seems like a good plan, I shall give it a shot and return to report

• 3. Re: Date/Region format mess
              jlisburn

Thanks, (I realized I didn't get back)

Turns out a compacted copy seems to work the same (in FM13 now) , no need for any data exports or transformations.