8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 12:50 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Charting conundrum (hopefully easy)

Mike_Mitchell

Good day, all. I'm working on some charting issues for a client, and am having a bit of trouble trying to find an elegant way to tackle this.

The chart in question (see attached) is typical. What they have is a need to show three variables: The day of an event, the hour of the day on each of those days, and the number of events (in this case, patients seen by first aid personnel) which occur during each of those hours on each of those days. Normally, this is not difficult; the hours of the day are the x-axis; the number of patients are the y-axis, and the days of the week / event represent y-series. In this case, though, there's a bit of a bugaboo: The number of days, the number of patients, and the number of hours during which the events take place are all variable. Further, they want to be able to pull the report containing these charts continuously throughout the course of the event.

Therefore, the chart needs to be dynamic not only in the number of data points and the span on each axis, but the number of y-series as well. The best I've been able to come up with so far is to program a number of series larger than what I think will be needed, allowing it to fill up as the data propagate. However, that's a kludge and not very stable.

Is there a better way to account for a variable number of y-series on a chart?