3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 1:15 AM by thomas_staehli

Sub-summaries and page breaks

thomas_staehli

Hello,

I currently setting up a printing layout for student's grades transcripts. The transcript is basically a list of grades sorted by students and then by academic terms (each grade record is linked to a term ).

Every thing works out fine except for one thing. What I'd like to achieve is to be able to have a page break before the academic term sub-summary if not all the grades from that term are able to fit on the space remaining on the page. On the screenshot, you can see that the Fall 2012 Term is split between page 1 and 2.

I tried to play around a little bit with the sub-summary options, but nothing seems to do what I want. It seems I only have options to either break the page for every different terms (which is not what I want) or having it split between the 2 pages (which is ok, but not really nice looking)

Any ideas on how I could make this work?

Page Break.png

• 1. Re: Sub-summaries and page breaks
          gdurniak

You may need to create two layouts, one continuous, and one with page breaks

Then use the page breaks layout if you see the record count for the terms won't fit nicely ( which is unfortunately printer dependent )

This could be scripted

greg

> What I'd like to achieve is to be able to have a page break before the academic term sub-summary if not all the grades from that term are able to fit on the space remaining on the page.

• 2. Re: Sub-summaries and page breaks
            mikefrey

I am working on the same problem and I have stumbled onto a piece of the answer. The trick is to get leading AND trailing sub-summaries of the same field on the same layout. This way, you can sort by your given field (leading), summarize or report records below that (body) and and then check the box for 'page break after every 1 occurence' on the trailing sub-summary of the same field. Note, I did not even put a field into this final layout part, but you need the part there to tell the layout where to put the page break. I did put some non-printing text in there to remind me not to delete the apparently empty part.

In your example above, you may wish to try adding a 'Print Order' number field to designate which groups of records get their own page and which should be combined onto the same page. This way, you could add Print Order to the top of your sort list and then control the page breaks via leading and trailing sub-summaries of the Print Order field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Sub-summaries and page breaks
              thomas_staehli

Thanks a lot for this. Still not perfect, but at least it splits the page the way I want most of the time.