6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 8:22 PM by MarkNZ

Duplicating a Record

MarkNZ

Hi all,

What is the best way to duplicate a current record using a layout button ( which will create a new record of course ) that will allow only some of the fields to be copied? Infact I want to be able to duplicate the current record or create a new record with one of the Field content (data) carried or copied over into the new record....

Remembering the data in the field isnt always the same. Like a name field etc

cheers Mark

• 1. Re: Duplicating a Record
          psijmons

Mark, when you duplicate a record using the menu button or a script step, most field contents will be duplicated, except for fields that have an auto-entry coupled to the field definition.

If you have related records where the relation is via the primary key of your original record, these will not show in the duplicated record.

It is a good way to duplicate a lot of data but is is usually followed by some clean-up script steps to clear fields where you do want the user to add new data.

• 2. Re: Duplicating a Record
            comment

mark0123 wrote:

What is the best way to duplicate a current record using a layout button ( which will create a new record of course ) that will allow only some of the fields to be copied?

Roughly:

Set Variable [ $name ; YourTable::Namefield ]

Set Variable [ $another ; YourTable::Anotherfield ]

New Record

Set Field [ YourTable::Namefield ; $name ]

Set Field [ YourTable::Anotherfield ; $another ]

However, this is probably not a good approach overall. You should consider modifying your structure so that recurring things like name are entered only once into a parent record, and the things that do change between records are kept in a related child table.

• 3. Re: Duplicating a Record
              MarkNZ

Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply..

Heres what Im trying to do.. I want to put a button on my Quote Form view ( from Quotes Table) that will create a new quote with only the obvious data that would be needed or should I say most likely to be needed. As a complete duplicate is over the top..I feel and leaves room for errors ie: leaving unwanted data in by mistake.

I want to maintain the integraty (data) of the company,  Name & address Fields only, which has already been imputted.. in the main Contacts Table- form view. and as you said exactly leave imputing to the parent table, which in this case is contacts.

yes I agree.

Mike from your experiance do you feel in reality that the DUPLICATE button option in a quoting senerio would be used very much.. if at all?....Im thinking how often would someone duplicate a quote to the same person as a new record...

DUPLICATING a CONTACT I can understand for ease. Anyway your thoughts or anyone elses appreciated.

Mark

• 4. Re: Duplicating a Record
                MarkNZ

Thanks for your reply, I am considering your answer, Regards Mark

• 5. Re: Duplicating a Record
                  comment

mark0123 wrote:

from your experiance do you feel in reality that the DUPLICATE button option in a quoting senerio would be used very much.. if at all?....

I don't think I can answer that without knowing the business and its preferred workflow. In some scenarios, where a quote has many line items, it might be convenient to duplicate the same items for a new quote instead of collecting them again from scratch.

mark0123 wrote:

I want to maintain the integraty (data) of the company,  Name & address Fields only, which has already been imputted.. in the main Contacts Table- form view.

Actually, I don't think you should be copying the contact's name and address from a previous quote, because they might have changed since then. Supposing you'd have a button in the Quotes layout saying "New quote for the same customer", it should create a new quote with the same CustomerID - and lookup the name and address from the related record in Contacts.

• 6. Re: Duplicating a Record
                    MarkNZ

Hi Mike ..yes agreed as data will most likely change...your last sugestion is probibly the best way

Thanks

Mark