13 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 2:41 PM by KeithLarochelle

Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?

s

Does anyone know anything about WorldCloud or Joe King? The website is down, at least one of the FileMaker servers is down, the ftp site is down, they haven't responded to tickets for weeks, their voicemailboxes are full (though I was able to leave a message with the answering service earlier).

If anyone is using their service or knows that any of their servers are up, I would love to know that. At this point, I'm fearing the worst...

Thanks.

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

• 1. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
          wimdecorte

just checked one my servers there, it's up.

• 2. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
            ErikWegweiser

Mine, too (FMSA 11). IWP OK. FTP OK. FMS Admin Console OK.

There was an unexpected restart of this server a few days ago, though. Evidently the core service continued to run wihout hosing files, but FMS stopped responding to clients and web publishing for about a day, so Joe restarted the machine.

Yes, the web site seems to be down now, but that's all I can report.

• 3. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
              s

Thanks, Erik and Wim. I'll keep my fingers crossed that shared-hosting-1.filemaker12.com comes back soon...

• 4. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                s

Phew. We're back up and running (away?)

• 5. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                  eshoshin

I was actually just researching WorldCloud as a hosting provider.  Other than this little issue, I'd love to hear some feedback about them.  One of my main concerns (other than uptime, obviously) is speed.

Again, thanks for any insights.

Ethan

• 6. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                    s

How would you propose to measure speed? A ping test to the server? or some specific, real-world filemaker tasks? If you've got some way to benchmark performance, I could compare the two different hosts that I use.

It's funny to hear you describe uptime as a "little issue" - just wait 'til you don't have it and your clients start calling. Now I understand that servers have to be rebooted occasionally and I know how long a fully-loaded FileMaker server can take to come back online, and I'm inclined to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but I also value communication, especially when client data is unavailable. Perhaps some form of post-mortem report acknowledging or explaining the problem.

WorldCloud provides access to your databases via the Server Admin Console, so you can close and download your (FM12) files anytime you like, though there are times when the console is unresponsive. The other hosting provider I use has a custom-built interface for backing up and downloading your files (and it is very reliable).

Both providers do automatic overnight backups which are accessible via ftp.

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

• 7. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                      PointInSpace

I was actually just researching WorldCloud as a hosting provider.  Other

than this little issue, I'd love to hear some feedback about them.  One

of my main concerns (other than uptime, obviously) is speed.

Again, thanks for any insights.

Ethan

Be sure to have a look at our services:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We have been providing Professional FileMaker Hosting since 1999.  We

have monitors that watch all services on all servers, can automatically

recover from 95% of problems, and notify us within 10 minutes of any

failures.

We also provide our custom Database Manager, which lets you remotely

upload, download, open and close your databases, as well as manage the

users connected to them, without any need for intervention from us.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions either here or

off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John

--

• 8. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                        eshoshin

The only benchmark that matters when it comes to speed is end-user satisfaction. If customers complain, then it's an issue.

I intentionally used the term "little issue" because I knew it would get a reaction... Wasn't sure what type of reaction, but one nonetheless. I wanted to here an emotional response, and I believe I got one. :-)

Thanks,

Ethan

• 9. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                          eshoshin

Hi John,

I'll take a look. If I have questions I will contact you directly.

Thanks,

Ethan

• 10. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                            s

I had originally started that post with "I hope you're not baiting me..." And just so you know, that was NOT an emotional response.

;-o

• 11. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                              eqitec

I'm beginning to wonder about Worldcloud. I placed an order with them almost two weeks ago. All they have done so far is charge my credit card; not so much as a peep from anyone there since the order. I opened three tickets at their Help Desk and have had no response. I'm about to tell my credit card company to not accept any charges from them.

• 12. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                                jormond

I've had contact with the very recently.  In the support pages, when someone is available, there is actually an online chat option that appears at the bottom of the page.  Keep trying...they are a good hosting company.

• 13. Re: Does WorldCloud hosting still exist?
                                  KeithLarochelle

Check Out: http://www.productivecomputing.com

Productive Computing, Inc., a Platinum member of the FileMaker Business Alliance, is a full service FileMaker Pro hosting company. FileMaker hosting services allow customers to host their own FileMaker Pro solutions on Productive Computing servers in the cloud instead of purchasing and supporting the necessary server infrastructure themselves.

Try a 30-day FREE trial today!

FileMaker Hosting Differences You Can Count On:

While there are many choices out there for hosting a FileMaker Pro database, keeping things focused and simple to efficiently accomplish your hosting needs is our philosophy. Here are some things that make Productive Computing, Inc.'s FileMaker Pro database hosting service different:

1. We are a large FileMaker Platinum development firm with extensive expert knowledge of all things FileMaker (not just a hosting company who may or may not know how FileMaker works under the hood).
                                  2. We have physical servers with SSD drives (nothing virtual, nothing outdated) and as a result have read/write times faster than traditional hard drives.
                                  3. We don’t overload our servers with too many files or customers and we always use the latest version of FileMaker Server and OS security patches after we have tested them.
                                  4. We perform local backups, twice daily backups to a physical attached drive, and to the cloud. That gives us 3 points of redundancy for disaster recovery and up to 30 days of data as well as weekly and monthly snapshots.
                                  5. We provide a weekly DropBox backup (more often if needed) for those customers who want the peace of mind to know their data is at their fingertips. No cumbersome FTP programs are required to get at your data should you need it.
                                  6. We provide direct FileMaker Server admin console access for users on FileMaker 12 where they can close and open files, download files, etc. We can provide direct access to FileMaker 11 Server admin as well for developers who request it.
                                  7. We provide a unique Instant Web Publishing (IWP) scenario that will auto redirect IWP users to a web page of your choosing upon IWP time out or IWP log out. We developed this technology here in-house and it’s truly one of a kind.
                                  8. Distance from the server to the client is a big factor which is why we are continuing to invest in our infrastructure by putting servers in all corners of the country.