3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 8:10 AM by LyndsayHowarth

Report data being hidden by header and footer - any ideas on solving problem?

user17750

I am doing a report in Filemaker 12 and the data (see picture) is being hidden by either the footer or the header of the report. I am using portals to show date e.g. the bullet points below and they also get lost in the footer and the header.

A lot of my information is variable e.g. a portal to related tables and may have 6 items, 3 items, 12 items. I have done some resarch and it seems that you can force page breaks etc. there are no sub summaries on my report as it is like a business plan and is simply reporting on what the client has entered into an electronic questionnaire and then needs to be printed into a pre formatted business plan style of report.

Any ideas on solving this problem?

Thanks and I've not been on Filemaker Pro 12 for long but have watched about 100 hours of videos and have done a couple of projecs.

Help is welcme ... thanks !!!!

Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 7.08.15 PM.png

• 1. Re: Report data being hidden by header and footer - any ideas on solving problem?
          LyndsayHowarth

HI Nicholas,

I assume you started with a FIleMaker Theme? If so which one?

Check out 'Sliding Objects' on the Data tab of the Inspector. Some objects can be set to slide up or left.

Also check out the Position of the Objects on layout and where they are "Anchored". Objects can be set to grow or shrink according to the window size.

Also the Appearance of the objects in some of the Themes can do weird things to the images.

It may also be that your header and footer are just too big and forcing many pages to generate...

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Report data being hidden by header and footer - any ideas on solving problem?
            user17750

Thanks for your answer.

I am using a clasic theme as it works the best with IWP if needed.  I have not checked to see how items have been "Anchored" in the report.  I am using sliding up (sometimes based on just the items above). I will also have a look at the header and footer size to see if this makes a difference ...

thanks ... at least I have something to try :-)

Nick

• 3. Re: Report data being hidden by header and footer - any ideas on solving problem?
              LyndsayHowarth

One of the tricks with sliding is to sorta underline things when you have been sliding based only on the immediately above objects. Eg. You may have objects in the body or a summary part which are set to slide up and buttons on the header you have set not to print. The objects in the body might slide right up into the blank space on the header. Instead, if you had a horizontal line under the Header objects (it can be white) which is set to slide up based on all of the above the stuff underneath won't slide up past it.

I'd say there is a good chance you have objects from the body or subsummary overlapping a part by a pixel or so into the Header part or the footer part.

- Lyndsay