4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 4:54 AM by gdurniak

iPad mini stops server?

Linda@compu-books.com

I had an interesting problem happen today with one of my clients using and iPad Mini running FM Go v11 connecting to FMServer v11 (Mac) . The user got to the login screen and then just clicked the 'home' button without logging in or quitting FM Go. Immediately after that, everyone on the network lost connection to FileMaker files being served. I tried to log in to the server remotely using Timbuktu, but I could not 'see' it. Nor could I 'see' any files to connect to with FM Pro via remote access. I talked to the IT person who was able to log into the server machine remotely with Timbuktu and get to the FM Server console. He said it looked like everything was up & running as usual. I suggested he close all files and restart the server machine.

After the restart, everyone was able to relogin, and I was able to check out the event log. It showed that at the point of the iPad Mini logging in, suddenly all users had quit responding and so were disconnected. Did I possibly discover a bug that happens with FM Go when an incomplete login happens? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance for posting any comments to me directly via email AND to this list.

Best -

Linda Carter

Linda@compu-books.com

www.compu-books.com

623-824-1834

• 1. Re: iPad mini stops server?
          taylorsharpe

One problem I used to have with FM11 and earlier servers was that when it would crash, you could log into the admin console and see people still logged in and databases still open even when they weren't.  I personally think it was a java problem in the Admin console.  But this does not seem to be an issue in FM12.  You might consider upgrading.  Plus, the FMGo clients for 12 don't cost money to use!  Lastly, be aware that the FMGo for 11 client may have some bugs in it and it is less likely that FileMaker will spend much time working a product that is outdated and costs money when the new client is free. 

• 2. Re: iPad mini stops server?
            Linda@compu-books.com

I agree Taylor, they should be upgraded - and we do have upgrading to v12 planned for this client in the 1Q of 2013.  I appreciate the feedback!

Linda Carter

Linda@compu-books.com

www.compu-books.com

623-217-2167

• 3. Re: iPad mini stops server?
              taylorsharpe

Great to hear.  There are some real benefits to upgrading to 12 on the server side including better memory management and it being a true 64 bit application.  I've never been all that excited about the Admin Console written in Java.  It sounded like a good idea years ago when everything was going Java, there were not a lot of Java security issues, and it worked equally well on many operating systems.  But I wish they would go back to the Admin Console being a regular application like it used to be.  The Java applications are like doing FileMaker on the web.  Yes it works... but it is never as smooth or elegant as a regular application.  Anyway, the biggest challenges I have had with upgrading to 12 is getting client hardware ready since 12 requires newer machines with more memory.  Best of luck and I think you'll like 12 a lot!

TAYLOR

PS:  I also liked the native app admin console when the log files were FileMaker files and not text files. 

• 4. Re: iPad mini stops server?
                gdurniak

"Ghost" users are a very real problem, since you can see them from  any machine

But that's not what happened here, and this may have been a fluke

if you can make it happen again, please report it as a product issue

http://forums.filemaker.com/hives/1eea103f05/summary

greg

> One problem I used to have with FM11 and earlier servers was that when it would crash, you could log into the admin console and see people still logged in and databases still open even when they weren't.  I personally think it was a java problem

> at the point of the iPad Mini logging in, suddenly all users had quit responding and so were disconnected