6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 7:01 PM by taylorsharpe

Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?

vickyn

Hi, I have FileMaker Pro 12 (regular). I have a client database converstion that I've done for 38 files going from 5.5 to 12. I've converted up all of the files and now need to start consolidating into one file, using tables instead of the original files. Here's my real question:

Can I import tables/fields/layouts using regular Filemaker Pro, or do I need to get Filemaker Pro Advanced to import more easily into the main solution?

Thanks!

Vicky

• 1. Re: Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?
          Malcolm

Hi, I have FileMaker Pro 12 (regular). I have a client database converstion that I've done for 38 files going from 5.5 to 12. I've converted up all of the files and now need to start consolidating into one file, using tables instead of the original files. Here's my real question:

Can I import tables/fields/layouts using regular Filemaker Pro, or do I need to get Filemaker Pro Advanced to import more easily into the main solution?

You don't need Advanced to do this job. Advanced will make the job much easier. It allows you to import tables and to cut and paste tables.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?
            vickyn

Ok, so if I DO want to copy and paste tables, I really should get Advanced, then?

Because I don't really want to build tables/fields/layouts from scratch from 37 files.

• 3. Re: Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?
              Malcolm

Yes. Advanced also provides the debugger, custom functions and custom menus.  All of which are life-changing for fmpro developers.

• 4. Re: Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?
                comment

vickynuttall wrote:

Ok, so if I DO want to copy and paste tables, I really should get Advanced, then?

Because I don't really want to build tables/fields/layouts from scratch from 37 files.

Even without the Advanced version, you can import a table inro another file, choosing [New Table] as the target. This is practically equivalent to pasting the table into the file using the Advanced version.

As for layouts, I'd suggest you lower your expectations, no matter which version you get.

• 5. Re: Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?
                  wimdecorte

As for layouts, I'd suggest you lower your expectations, no matter which version you get.

Amen... layouts are tricky.  The trick is to first create blank stub layouts in the target file with the same name as the original layouts before you paste in any scripts.  Only when you have all the fields and scripts brought over can you paste layout objects from the old layouts to the new ones.

You'll still have set any layout triggers that you may have had on the original layouts.

• 6. Re: Import Tables/fields/layouts: Filemaker or Advanced?
                    taylorsharpe

The problem with layouts is that they are context sensitive to a particular table occurrence which isn't automatically in the new file.  You can cut and paste between layouts, but then you usually have to reattach the fields to the proper table and update table occurrences, etc. 

What you find out is that you need to first import table names and their table occurrences.  That way when you create new layouts and paste the field names, they won't have to be changed.  Next you import the scripts so that they reference the proper layout names.  Then you have to re-paste the layout fields/objects again so that things like script triggers and conditional formatting will reference the appropriate scripts that did not exist when you first pasted the layout.  At least that is how I did it.  Yes, it is a pain, but it is so much nicer once done.  Security is better and everything. 

I forget, but there are some things you can only cut and paste between files if you have FileMaker Advanced.  I can't imagine developing without it, so I'm not even sure what is missing in the regular Pro version. 

Best of luck!  If done correctly,  you should have a much nicer product!  And if you re-do your layouts in FileMaker 12 themes, then it will look at lot better too!