4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2012 2:47 PM by Steve Wright

Merge fields and "resize to fit"

davehob

A minor annoyance - I have a merge field over on the right hand side of a layout. In layout mode, the name of the merge field extends beyong the right edge of the layout. In browse mode, when I "resize the window to fit", it resizes it to the field name, rather than to the contents (which will never go beyond the right margin), giving an unsightly white space which will never have anything displayed in it.

I realise that I can change the name of the field to make it shorter, but I just wondered whether there's a bit of layout trickery that I've missed?

Regards,

Dave.

• 1. Re: Merge fields and "resize to fit"
          timwhisenant

Dave,

After the first chevron “<” reduce the text size to 6 or 8 points for the rest of the merge field and the overall size will reduce considerably.

Maybe this will give you the desired result.

HTH,

Tim

• 2. Re: Merge fields and "resize to fit"
            davehob

Thanks Tim, that's perfect.  So it's the first chevron which determines the displayed size of the field, regardless of the size of the rest of it - I didn't realise that, and it will certainly make life easier.

Thanks again,

Dave.

• 3. Re: Merge fields and "resize to fit"
              timwhisenant

Dave,

That is correct. Only thing is that it leaves the text so small I have to enlarge it to read, otherwise it’s good to go.

Tim

• 4. Re: Merge fields and "resize to fit"
                Steve Wright

Something else which may be of interest, perhaps not specifically for this issue but for layout positioning etc, where the above CF would also be commonly used

Lets say you want a 20pt by 20pt box, however this contains <<$$displaySomething>>

Lets also say that $$displaySomething would only ever show a 1 or a 0 and needed positioning appropriately

In FileMaker 11, this was only possible by font-sizing and CF's.  Trying to resize the merge variables boundaries to 20 x 20 would result in it resizing itself usually height wise. 

The same goes for FM12 when you drag to resize, however it now allows you to resize using the inspector which retains the dimensions you set.  The overflowing content is simply hidden.  Something I have wanted for years.

Some edit's such as font size will cause it to resize again though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful