It's a bit hard to tell what's going on, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
If your images are located on a central server, the global may need to be set on each workstation the database is being used, so that the path to the iamge files are related to that workstation. The file reference to the images/files are crutial. Check the filepath to the image on each workstation (you can display the filepath by creating a calculation of the container field that result is text).
You can actually import whole folders of images into a database, using import (form folder) and store them as a reference - the trick here would be to ensure that the image/file names are in the same order as your filemaker records, if you catch my drift.
Thanks for the tip about the global field, I had forgotten that each user gets his or her own global value. This may actually be the problem.
Another possibility I am investigating is permissions. There seems to be something wrong with the permissions on the server (a Mac mini), which may be part of the problem too.
I will update this post when I have a chance to do some more testing later today.
Thanks for your reply.
This thread has gone a bit cold, but here is my update.
The global field was a bit of a problem as it sometimes had different values for different users; however, once I ironed that out and everyone was using the same value in global field that is the path to the image files I still have problems.
The host database is being served through IWP and connected to through FileMaker Network. Therefore, the image files have to be in the Web folder in the FileMaker app folder on the host machine. When the image files are in the Web folder, FileMaker Network users can't see the images. (I have confirmed that the calculation is correct.) However, if I moved the images to a folder in the Documents folder on the host machine, then FileMaker Network users can see the images, but IWP users can't.
Perhaps the problem has something to do with permissions and file sharing? I suspect this because when I try to right click and link an image file in the Web folder an ordinary container field as a remote user on the FileMaker Network, I am told that either the file is locked or in use. I have opened the permissions on the Web folder, but it still doesn't work.
Were you able to resolve this? I'm experiencing the same problem. Using MS server 8 and FM server11. I have photos in a "gallery" directory and link them to my database "container" using "image:/" & Local_ImageLocation & "/" & Local_Filename
I have no problem if the "gallery" is located on a local machine, but cannot get it to work with the "gallery" on the server. I can browse my computer and locate the gallery and verify the path. I'm at a loss.
Your setup is a bit different from mine. I was using plain old FileMaker in a Mac environment. It turned out that there were problems with user permissions on our server, something we still haven't quite figured out; however, I also did discover something else that might be of use to you.
I started using calculated absolute paths to display images. If a remote user connected to a hosted FMP file and was not connected to the shared volume through Finder at the same sharepoint, then the remote user did not see the images. If the user connected to the networked volume through a shared folder deeper in the folder path, then the remote user did not see the images.