giosbob

Images defined by calculation not appearing on FileMaker Network client

Discussion created by giosbob on Dec 5, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 by rudinec

Hello,

I am trying to provide access to a FileMaker database both through a FileMaker Network and Instant Web Publishing. I am having problems displaying images in container fields that are linked through calculations. I am fairly new to FileMaker, especially when it comes to calculations and scripts, so I apologize in advance if the answer if obvious.

First, here is the background.I have created a database that uses a calculation to link to image files and display them in a container field. The calculation is based on the file path to the image folder (a (a global text field in the database) and the name of the image file (a text field) in that folder. The calculation looks like this:

g_ImageFilePath & ImageName

The resulting absolute path looks like this and is displayed as an image in a container field:

image:/Server HD/Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/Web/image01.jpg

This works fine when the database is accessed through FileMaker on the host machine or through a web browser using IWP. It also works when the database is opened using FileMaker on a networked machine. However, it does not work when the file is already open on the host machine and is accessed by another user using FileMaker Network (i.e. accessing the database by using "Open Remote…"). I assumed that an absolute path would let all users access the image files, but I guess I was wrong.

Any ideas? Better solutions?

(I should add that I came up with this solution because I was provided with over 1,000 image files and an Excel document with the filenames and associated data. I needed a way to link the images to the records in FileMaker without right clicking over 1,000 times to insert the images into container fields!)

Thanks,

-Robert.

Outcomes