9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 1:52 PM by LyndsayHowarth

Count Web Page Hits

KenShick

Has anyone found the need to count page hits on a website, count and display clicks on any link throughout a website, or count how many times a file has been downloaded? In my Filemaker application I will need to do this on websites that have been created by others so I don’t have control over the design of the website. But I will have permission to collect the click data.

Does anyone have a solution or know of a plugin. -Ken

• 1. Re: Count Web Page Hits
          beverly

The weblog has this information (in the web server root or wherever it has been setup), if one has been set up. Or if the website design specifically sets values for "hits" directly (to a database most likely). So, the answer is: probably not under your control. They have to do this from the web server and/or website. They can get you the information that can go into your database.

Beverly

• 2. Re: Count Web Page Hits
            LyndsayHowarth

hi Ken,

I use google analytics for this. It is so easy as you just pop the code in the bottom of the page. I put it in the footer include. You can set up reports that are mailed to you and your client and you can allow a client to access the info without letting them in to your whole google analytics account.

- Lyndsay

• 3. Re: Count Web Page Hits
              mbraendle

Everything said by our Web experts. You can find a list of free and commercial Web analytics software at http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Site_Management/Log_Analysis/

• 4. Re: Count Web Page Hits
                KenShick

I am an expert Enterprise FM developer but my web experience is limited. I have a google analytics account but have not had the opportunity to work with it. . . I need to know how to get web stats into FileMaker. Like my Dad used to say, do I need to draw you a picture. Would it be too much trouble for one of you to draw me a picture or talk me through this.

Thanks -Ken

• 5. Re: Count Web Page Hits
                  beverly

Talk to the people that control the website.

1. find out if they have a weblog

2. find out if they are capturing the information otherwise

3. find out if they have google analytics

If any of these are true, they have to get you access to the data.

You said originally

on websites that have been created by others so I don’t have control over the design of the website. But I will have permission to collect the click data.

"permission to collect", how? and "don't have control" means "they" have to get the data to you.

Beverly

• 6. Re: Count Web Page Hits
                    KenShick

Lyndsay and Beverly, I have a google analytics account on my own website www.Sensight.com Do either of you know the method that google analytics provides for exporting the data? I can test this out on my own site.

What I want to do is to automatically retrieve the data into my FM application. Then from my FM application I will act on the data and report on the data. My application is for B to B Call Centers with many reps. So feedback from web clicks may trigger a rep call to a prospect.

• 7. Re: Count Web Page Hits
                      KenShick

Beverly, I have a google analytics account on my own website www.Sensight.com Do you know the method that google analytics provides for exporting the data? I can test this out on my own site.

What I want to do is to automatically retrieve the data into my FM application. Then from my FM application I will act on the data and report on the data. My application is for B to B Call Centers with many reps. So feedback from web clicks may trigger a rep call to a prospect.

• 8. Re: Count Web Page Hits
                        KenShick

Lyndsay, I have a google analytics account on my own website www.Sensight.com Do you know the method that google analytics provides for exporting the data? I can test this out on my own site.

• 9. Re: Count Web Page Hits
                          LyndsayHowarth

google analytics lets you export as CSV. It does the resports in batches if you set it up... with each report being an export file. I haven't found any raw data exports... only the stats already calculated.

It is non-intuitive so whe I get back to my desktop I'll see if I can manage to upload some pics and instructions.

- Lyndsay

PS. Prompt me privately if I am too slow...