4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 8:20 PM by JFWX5

Return email link in pdf or email

JFWX5

Hi,

Is it possible to embed a cross platform; return email address, subject and message link in a password protected pdf that has been created by FM12, so that when clicked I'll receive a return email?

If not in a pdf, how about in the body of a email?

If so how?

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Return email link in pdf or email
          jrenfrew

Yes, using ScriptMaster from 360Works and iText. Not a trivial task from scratch but simple to achieve.

• 2. Re: Return email link in pdf or email
            JFWX5

Hi,

Yes, using ScriptMaster from 360Works and iText. Not a trivial task from scratch but simple to achieve.

Is this for placing in the pdf? Or email too?

Thanks,

John

• 3. Re: Return email link in pdf or email
              jrenfrew

This works in FM12 on Mac. Also on FM12 on WinXP

put a bit of text on your layout

mailto:me@me.com?subject=subject_of_email

Save as PDF

this converts this link to a clickable link. (so will putting a web address ) which when you open it with Reader will open a Browser window but then automatically open your default email programme with the email and subject filled in.

But I imagine this is not what you want.

Like a bit more control over the text of the link i.e. Click HERE to respond. but for the underlying link to be the above. Not possible from within FM.

This needs some post processing to achieve this, and iText is probably the most powerful java library to do this, BUT it will put the link at a fixed point on the page unless you have a way of working out the location of the text and feeding that to the function. (See - getting non-trivial already)

It can do it in a protected PDF after you have made it - assuming you have the creator password, which I am assuming as you made it, you do.

You obviously only get the return email if someone at the other end agrees to send it. Not unlike the situation with read receipts.

A more basic question. What are you trying to achieve, and under what circumstance?

• 4. Re: Return email link in pdf or email
                JFWX5

Hi,

We send out encrypted forms to people for review.  We want to give the client two options

by button: "approved" or "not approved" and a place to type in their name.  Approved will submit a email to us containing client's name, the person who

approved the data and the date it was sent back to us. 

I don't want to rely on a person's email client to return the data to us as we deal with a high number of elderly and don't want to deal with possible errors from

email clients.

No data from the original pdf will be email back to us as we don't want unencrypted data being sent accross the internet.

Thanks