2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 7:02 AM by KylePutzier

Formatting Radio Buttons as Idiot Lights

user18632

I made some simple "idiot lights" out of radio buttons in Filemaker 11 and having trouble formatting them in Filemaker 12.

I created three calculations fields that basically said, if true, then "1", which would turn the radio button on. I then colored each of the radio buttons red, blue or green and set the fill at none and used engraved as the style. I then stacked them directly on top of each other in the layout.

If the yellow field had a value of 1, it turned on. The button colors told me at a glance if a project of coming up, due today or past due

But with Filemaker 12, I can't seem to set the color without getting the button outline. It seems the engraved style is no longer there. If the button is off, I don't want the outline, but if the button is on, I want the interior in the color I specified.

How might I do this in Filemaker 12?

• 1. Re: Formatting Radio Buttons as Idiot Lights
          mikebeargie

I modified a method from seedcode's toggle buttons to make multi-layer toggles is this fashion:

1) place your bottom most object (in my case "off") on the bottom

2) create an empty text field for the next layer (in my case "pending"), resize it to match the bottom layer. Conditionally format the object where ( isEmpty(pending) ) blanks out the fill.

3) create an empty text field for the top layer (in my case "complete"), resize it to match the bottom layer. Conditionally format the object where ( isEmpty(complete) ) blanks out the fill.

4) Then stack all three in order on top of eachother.

What this leaves me with is an image-based multi-state indicator. I add a script to the top layer to set hidden indicator fields that change the "state",

• 2. Re: Formatting Radio Buttons as Idiot Lights
            KylePutzier

Why not just use a single 48 point static text bullet (Option 8 on a Mac) and changed the Text Color using conditional formatting. No fields required.

Kyle