7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 9:24 AM by bern

Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer

kmtenor

We are having an issue with FMPA12v2 on Windows where, when printing to a custom paper size (defined by the printer driver), all documents sent from Filemaker require the printer to use the MP tray instead of the Cassette.

Printing to this custom size works fine in other Windows applications (tested in Word and Notepad) - the paper is correctly fed from the cassette when the cassette is requested in Page Setup. But, when printing from Filemaker (just from the File menu, no script involved yet), regardless of whether the Page Setup dialog says "Cassette" or not, the printer insists on having the MP Tray filled. It's almost as though Filemaker thinks that, because the paper size is a custom paper size, it knows better than the user AND the driver, and believes that custom paper must always come from the MP tray, so that's what it tells the printer. Frustrating.

Obviously, we can get it to work this way, but the situation is not ideal. The solution we are building is going to be deployed in a dusty environment, and having the paper coming from the MP tray will undoubtedly cause issues down the road. We also need more than the 50 sheets that the MP tray can hold at a time.

I'm going to install the 12v3 update and see if that fixes things, but I wanted to get this question out in the wild while waiting for the download.

Printer is a Kyocera FS-C5200DN and is directly installed on the workstation feeding the document (no print server involved). I am not prone to blame the printer because it feeds correctly from other Windows applications.

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin

• 1. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
          kmtenor

By way of update... This appears to have been solved by the v3 update.  We have not started to apply scripts, nor have we attempted running Filemaker from a "Cold Start" to see that the default settings of the printer carry through to FMPA, but the tray worked every time we printed after the update.

Thanks.

-Kevin

• 2. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
            kmtenor

Or maybe not.

After leaving this project alone for a day, and then returning to it today, we are finding that the same symptoms have re-surfaced.  I wish I could say I am surprised.  Printing from Filemaker has always been a tenuous scenario, at best.

However, we are now stuck with deploying this application through FileMaker, as we have run out of time.  If anyone has any suggestions about how to ensure that the paper gets pulled from the Cassette when the drop-down in Page Setup is set to "Cassette", I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

-Kevin

• 3. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
              pmconaway

Kevin, have you tried defining the printer setup as part of the printing script. I don't think you specifically mentioned it. Also we had problems with printer drivers when IT made some changes. What happened at my shop was that when I went to print the job would get to the printer and ask for manual feed / card stock type paper. Here is the kicker, I didn't specify and specific items when sending the print job. Letter size and default paper type. This happened in other apps besides filemaker. It was fixed by updating the printer drivers on the affected computers. Could that be the issue?

Paul

• 4. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
                kmtenor

The issue happens straight from the print dialogs on the file menu - if it's not going to work there, it will never work from a script, in my experience.  I did set up a script that attempted to set all the right settings, but it didn't help.  I also found this very helpful KB article on Filemaker's site (which says NOT to use a printer setup script step) that also didn't make a difference.

As for the driver, we are running the latest, greatest driver for this printer, and we've even plugged the thing in via USB, so there's no network layer in the way.  We had originally set it up with a local IP Port, so we could avoid the print server altogether.

During an entire afternoon of troubleshooting, we believe we have narrowed it down to how Filemaker handles printer default settings, particularly due to the fact that this file is hosted on Filemaker Server.  When the file is uploaded to the server, whatever print settings it had last time it got closed get frozen in place, and there's no way to update that "freeze" while the file is hosted (for many, many good reasons, I'm sure).  That means that you have to change them every time you go to print, manually or via script.  Trouble is, the file's printing defaults don't seem to be getting overridden when they're changed via interface elements - we're betting the defaults that were there when the file was uploaded are the ones being used by the printing, and any changes we're making, via script or dialog, are being ignored. 

The reason we think this is that we started over with a fresh, local database.  We set the printing defaults immediately upon creating the file, and then set up a layout to use them.  And it worked as expected - the paper came from the cassette instead of asking for the MP tray.  We added a similar test layout to the hosted file, and it asked for the MP tray again.

We've added a set of remote TOs to the local file, using a bit of a "separation model", and so far, that seems to be working.  Time will tell, however, if it continues working as we move the database around and try to get it completed.  I'll update here with any additional progress.

Here's hoping "separation" works!

Thanks.

-Kevin

• 5. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
                  Stephen Huston

kmtenor wrote:

During an entire afternoon of troubleshooting, we believe we have narrowed it down to how Filemaker handles printer default settings, particularly due to the fact that this file is hosted on Filemaker Server.  When the file is uploaded to the server, whatever print settings it had last time it got closed get frozen in place, and there's no way to update that "freeze" while the file is hosted (for many, many good reasons, I'm sure).  That means that you have to change them every time you go to print, manually or via script.  Trouble is, the file's printing defaults don't seem to be getting overridden when they're changed via interface elements - we're betting the defaults that were there when the file was uploaded are the ones being used by the printing, and any changes we're making, via script or dialog, are being ignored. 

The reason we think this is that we started over with a fresh, local database.  We set the printing defaults immediately upon creating the file, and then set up a layout to use them.  And it worked as expected - the paper came from the cassette instead of asking for the MP tray.  We added a similar test layout to the hosted file, and it asked for the MP tray again.

If that's the case, can you remove the file from the Server, reset the print setup via a local unhosted client machine, and then reload the file onto the server?

• 6. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
                    kmtenor

Hi, Stephen.

We did try taking the database offline, opening it locally in the client on the machine connected to the printer, resetting the print settings, and then putting it back up on the server.  While we had it local, we tried to print - and the paper still insisted on coming from the MP tray.  Just for "fun", we closed the database, re-mounted it on the server, and re-opened it from the client.  While the settings we had just changed to be correct appeared to have "stuck" as the defaults for the print dialog, when we printed, we got the now-familiar "please feed the MP Tray" beep from the printer.  We also tried multiple layouts while the file was open from both places, unfortunately with the same results.

This whole process is what's making us think we have a corruption issue in the part of the file that governs the print settings, or a bug in the way FMPA is handling the overrides to those settings provided by the dialogs and scripts (which would be a surprise, given the lack of other posts on this topic, though I'd also be surprised if there are many people using custom paper sizes).  More likely, there's just something we're doing plain "wrong" or overlooking - which is why I've posted here.

We have opened a case with support, and hopefully we can get this untangled during the day tomorrow.  Any and all suggestions, however, are still welcome!

Thanks.

-Kevin

• 7. Re: Print Setup sends wrong tray info to printer
                      bern

Hi Kevin,

Just an FYI....Yesterday we upgraded a customer to FMP12 and FMServer12 and are having the exact same problems you are experiencing. The printer is a Kyocera Task alfa 4500i KX. I will let you know if we find a workaround to this issue.

Best Regards;

Bern