5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 2:08 PM by psijmons

Fast way to display a repeating field in a webviewer?

psijmons

I want to speed up a layout for holiday planning (see attachment).

It is currently using a 365x repeating field that is either 1 or 0 and conditional formatting.

When there are more the a dozen or so records, it will hardly scroll, it is just deadslow.

There are no triggers on the layout, but scrolling from one record to the next will give the spinning wheel for ca 15 seconds. (FMPA12, hosted on FMS12)

Is there a better (and faster) technique using a webviewer to display this?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Peter

• 1. Re: Fast way to display a repeating field in a webviewer?
          Mike Duncan

Yes, I would think that a web viewer would be much fast, mostly since to scale up to display more records in a list would require 365 times how many records are being displayed... I imagine that's what the bottleneck is.

You could also do this with one calculation field that uses a character (like a "|" pipe character) to represent the "graph" as well, and color them in pretty much like you're doing now. Of course with a web viewer, you have finer control over the display, being able to specify by pixel.

Something like the following to get you started, of course you do this multiple ways... tables, divs, etc...

<table><tr>

<td style="width: (# of blank space)px; background: white;"></td>

<td style="width: (# of colored space)px; background: blue;"></td>

</tr></table>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fast way to display a repeating field in a webviewer?
            psijmons

Thanks Mike, that looks like what I'm looking for.
            No time to test this until Thusday, but I will keep you posted.

• 3. Re: Fast way to display a repeating field in a webviewer?
              psijmons

I am trying this but apparently missing some of the syntax because it does not yet get the result I wanted:

"data:text/html," &

Let ( [

STRT = HolidayPlanning::DayNumberStart ;

STP = HolidayPlanning::DayNumberStart ;

LENGTH = STP-STRT

] ;

"<table><tr>

<td style=\"width: (START)px; background: white;\"></td>

<td style=\"width: (LENGTH)px; background: blue;\"></td>

</tr></table>"

)

• 4. Re: Fast way to display a repeating field in a webviewer?
                beverly

Nice Gantt Chart! One wonders if a text field with appropriate character(s) would work. Just put 365 characters in there and have the conditional formatting change the Middle() of the text as needed (using start dayofyear and end dayofyear to get the start and the length). Or maybe a calculated TextFormat(). I've used the pipe character ("|") this way, but it's usually not wide enough, so I overlay 2-3 copies of the field and offset them slightly. There is a "box" character, but it may depend on the font you use whether it displays.

Beverly

• 5. Re: Fast way to display a repeating field in a webviewer?
                  psijmons

Yes Beverly, something like that was my initial attempt, but on different platforms the results were not satisfactory and I started playing with the repeating field to get an almost continuous block.

But the speed was too slow and I think a webviewer calc will perform much faster.