3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 11:40 AM by lkeyes

Unique Search Operator

Johan Hedman

I know how to find alla unique values using ScripMaker, but wouldn´t it be great to have a operator to choose to find all unique values in a field.

Say for example that you have a database with all zipcodes from a country with matching city names. Say you want to find all unique city names from that database table without having to use ScriptMaker, List()-function or a value list based on that field.

Might be something useful in next version of FileMaker.

• 1. Re: Unique Search Operator
          LSNOVER

The list function works.  What would you do with this information outside of a script?  FYI, you can hit Ctrl-I in a field that is indexable and see a list of unique values.

• 2. Re: Unique Search Operator
            comment

johanhedman wrote:

Say you want to find all unique city names from that database table without having to use ScriptMaker, List()-function or a value list based on that field.

In version 12, you could also use the ExecuteSQL() function.

• 3. Re: Unique Search Operator
              lkeyes

LeeSnover wrote:

The list function works.  What would you do with this information outside of a script?  FYI, you can hit Ctrl-I in a field that is indexable and see a list of unique values.

Man!   Who knew?    I was looking for something within the FM  "Find" function that would be the same as a SELECT Distinct.  This at least gives me the list of values to choose from to paste into a Find Field.