3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 12:48 PM by beverly

Field Recording with Filemaker Go

cobrien

Hi all, I'm a newbie (kinda) but played with filemaker years ago. I am trying to get guidance on what Filemaker GO can actually do..! All I can see is that it allows editing and viewing of datasets - on the go, but I want to use an iPad as the primary means of data entry for field assessment of houses/apartments. This would include image entry/numerical values and written descriptions of condition.

Can Filemaker Go allow this - ie - if I set up all the fields and sheet views in Filemaker, can I hand someone an iPAD and let them create new entries?

What I want to do is have people input the data in the field, so that it does'nt have to be redone when back in the office..

I can't understand why this is not clear ....

Any and all help would be appreciated as I begin. I actually suspect this cannot be the first time that filemaker has been used for this, so if anyone has any direction on a property template then that would be of enourmous help.

Thanks all.

Ciaran

• 1. Re: Field Recording with Filemaker Go
          beverly

You have two options:

1. Standalone and SYNC with office once you are there or within network (including wifi) range.

2. Connect with server so records are created DIRECTLY in office. You can have the interface file on the mobile device and data in office or you can have the interface db on the server and connect remotely.

With either method, you can have issues.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 2. Re: Field Recording with Filemaker Go
            cobrien

Hi Beverly,

I don't need to live sync at all. All syncing can be done at a later time. I just want to know if Filemaker GO can generate new records in the field, or can it only allow amendment of records previously created back at base..

Thanks for a response (on a weekend too ;-))

Much obliged.

Ciaran

• 3. Re: Field Recording with Filemaker Go
              beverly

Yes. Go is a version of FMP like pro, but not for development. The database is CREATED with FMPro and placed ON the iOS device or accessed through remote (if the database is on FMServer). If the design allows data entry, the database on GO (standalone or through remote access) can have new records created and/or existing records edited. It all depends on the privileges assigned.

1. Create the db with FMPro (or FMPro Advanced). Pay close attention to layout design that works well on GO (button sizes, etc. - there are white papers on this forum explaining how to design for iOS). Also pay close attention to script steps that may or may not function on GO or behave differently. The white papers cover these too.

2. Deploy the database:

a. Directly on the iOS with FMGo

or

b. access db from FMServer through remote on the iOS with FMGo

3. Sync if deployed on iOS and not directly connected to FMServer.

Check this forum for the information under the "IOS RESOURCES" tab. Lots of great documentation!

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--