3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 3:31 PM by MarkNZ

Database Setup for 4 Users

MarkNZ

Hi all,

I need advice on setting up my newly created first DB. which Ive created in FM12Advance.

I have set up my home office computer as the Host and have sucessfully networked it with another pc in the house.( Local network ) However I now want to have 2 other users access the DB from there locations (other towns) to imput data, print etc.

Instant Web Publishing sounds like the Interface gets messed up?

Can they become part of my local network, so they see the DB as tho they were here? What is the best way to achieve this...I wont other users to see a nice clear database.

Small business set up..I would really appreciate your thoughts

Rregrads Mark

• 1. Re: Database Setup for 4 Users
          wimdecorte

IWP will only work if you've explictely desgined for IWP, not all script steps are web compatible.

Is this a permanent setup or temporary? If it is permanent I would advice to get FileMaker Server for the hosting instead of using your own machine.  With your own machine as the host, other people will only be able to connect if you have the files open.  And when they work in the files at the same time you will see a definite performance hit on your machine.

Looking into LogmeIn hamachi to increase security and let other people into your network.  Without it, you will need to configure your firewall/router to let FM traffic through and assuming you are on residential internet you will have a dynamic IP address from your ISP and that means that you will need to use some dynamic DNS service so that the remote users will always have the same DNS name to connect to.  Also assuming that your firewall/router gives you a dynamic IP address (DHCP) inside your network you will have to change that to a fixed IP address so that the port forwarding that you will set up on that firewall/router will have a static target to pass the FM traffic to.

If this is all mumbo-jumbo to you, find a network guy and hire him to help you set it all up.

• 2. Re: Database Setup for 4 Users
            PointInSpace

You may want to consider a FileMaker hosting service, such as ours:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide the servers, FileMaker Server software, monitoring, upgrades,

etc. so you don't have to deal with such.

Please let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to

jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John

IWP will only work if you've explictely desgined for IWP, not all script

steps are web compatible.

Is this a permanent setup or temporary? If it is permanent I would

advice to get FileMaker Server for the hosting instead of using your own

machine.  With your own machine as the host, other people will only be

able to connect if you have the files open.  And when they work in the

files at the same time you will see a definite performance hit on your

machine.

Looking into LogmeIn hamachi to increase security and let other people

into your network.  Without it, you will need to configure your

firewall/router to let FM traffic through and assuming you are on

residential internet you will have a dynamic IP address from your ISP

and that means that you will need to use some dynamic DNS service so

that the remote users will always have the same DNS name to connect to.

Also assuming that your firewall/router gives you a dynamic IP address

(DHCP) inside your network you will have to change that to a fixed IP

address so that the port forwarding that you will set up on that

firewall/router will have a static target to pass the FM traffic to.

If this is all mumbo-jumbo to you, find a network guy and hire him to

help you set it all up.

--

• 3. Re: Database Setup for 4 Users
              MarkNZ

Hi, Using Logmein, does that mean that it is left going all the time on all computers to work..& does that mean I can avoid the other IP issues you mentioned?

What would other users see when they log in..Interface etc

Thanks for your help..