1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 11:56 AM by taylorsharpe

Google

Michael20219

Filemaker 11 advanced - Windows 7

I am working on a database which deals with multiple supplier with each being able to contain multiple part numbers. I wish to create a button that will set variables for each suopplier and each part number. ok fine. Then i would like to display a custom dialog allowing the employee to choice supplier 1 -5. ok fine. Then if possible can filemaker go to google using their search syntax and maybe a subsitute (?) or another functions to search for the desired variable? Im not sure if this is possible but would be fantastic. Are there any custom functions out there that will do this? Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Google
          taylorsharpe

The FileMaker Web Portal does this just fine.  When you create a web portal, you put the URL in that you are looking for.  The URL will be a calculation from the choosen supplier and the variables associated with that supplier.  The devil is in the details of understand the particular web API you are connecting to.  Google has quite a few different ones.  I've mostly used the mapping one.  The nice thing about Google API's are that they are well documented online. 

Also, after having the web portal display the API results, you can web scrape the results to store in FileMaker or do whatever you want.  It is pretty slick and fun to do.