5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 8:19 AM by comment

creating additional records from table 1 into table 2

fmk4

Hi,

Is it possible to create additional records from table 1 (layout A) into table 2 using scripts?

If a record is created in table 1 using controls on layout A, 2 or more records is created on table 2, each of these records has different information generated from the record in layout A.

Example,

If I input A,B,C,D in layout A, I want to generate 4 records in table 2 from layout A, ie record 1 =A, record 2=B, record 3=C, record 4=D.

I tried using new record, but it only trigger a new record in layout A.

• 1. Re: creating additional records from table 1 into table 2
          comment

fmk4 wrote:

If I input A,B,C,D in layout A, I want to generate 4 records in table 2

What would be the purpose of duplicating the data like that?

• 2. Re: creating additional records from table 1 into table 2
            fmk4

Hi,

Its for permutation entry.

If user enters ABC in layout A, I need to create the corresponding entries with permutation in table 2.

Table 1

ABC

Table 2

ABC,

ACB,

CAB,

BAC,

...etc

• 3. Re: creating additional records from table 1 into table 2
              comment

Well, you could certainly script the process, if you wanted. Whether that's a good way to proceed is another question. Suppose user edits the original entry: you would then need to delete all related records and create a new set, right? You didn't say how the related records will be used - perhaps deleting them would create orphans further down the line.

IOW, abstract questions do not yield the best answers. It's much better, IMHO, to describe the real situation.

• 4. Re: creating additional records from table 1 into table 2
                fmk4

How do I script it such that with the input in layout A (table 1), I can create multiple records in table 2?

I tried using new record, but it only creates a new record in table 1, and not table 2.

There is no need for consideration for orphan records, as once the records are permutated, its stays there for both table 1 and table 2. There is no delete for both the records in both table.

• 5. Re: creating additional records from table 1 into table 2
                  comment

The New Record command (or script step) creates a new record in the current table - that is the table to which the current layout belongs. In order to create a new record in another table, you need to switch to another layout. Using your first example, the script could look something like:

Set Variable [ $parentID ; Parent::ParentID ]

Set Variable [ $values ; Parent::Input ]

Go to Layout [ Child ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $i ; $i + 1 ]

Exit Loop If [ $i > ValueCount ( $values) ]

New Record

Set Field [ Child::ParentID ; $parentID ]

Set Field [ Child::Value ; GetValue ( $values ; $i ) ]

End Loop

Go to Layout [ Original layout ]

This is assuming user will enter a return-separated list of values into the Input field of the Parent table.